Respected Contributor

Re: Do you live in or know of a great city? If so why is it great.

I live in the northern burbs of Chicago now (20 years), but NEW YORK NEW YORK NEW YORK...   the pace, rhythm, culture, museums, restaurants, neighborhoods, architecture, sports, people, intensity, diversity of everything, etc   .....   absolutely LOVE, and embrace it whenever I go back.  I MISS NEW YORK....  

Esteemed Contributor

I'd recommend a university town. If you're older or have health issues, I'd look for a university that has a medical school, where you can find state-of-the-art care. Every state has universities, where you have access to all sorts of cultural, educational, and recreational interests. And the students keep these towns young and vibrant. Many websites list university towns that are great places to live. In case you haven't guessed, I live in a university town. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in NJ but very near NYC....I don't think I can be far from NYC....I love the winter as I don't commute any longer.  I love the change of seasons....a perfect City, I'd say Charleston and Savannah a close second.  I don't think I'll ever live there tho....there is something charming about NJ....

Respected Contributor

Upstate NY is very livable.  Not much for tourism, but lots for locals to do.  4 seasons, some extreme weather but not too much.  (Rochester and surrounding areas.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use to think Seattle was great, but not any more.....terrible scandalous Mayor.....homeless are taking over the city as are the drug addicts and they keep adopting new laws to protect them..... tax tax tax those who live here legit  to fund everything related to allowing  drug addicts to shoot up, and the homeless to live wherever they want in the city running into nice neighborhoods and causing crimes and shootings.  

With all all of this AND housing prices that are a joke, do not move to Seattle!

Honored Contributor

Chicago!  I was born and raised in NYC and lived there for 49 years.  Husband retired we moved to Henderson, NV.  But NYC has become unlivable IMO because of the price of real estate and the fact that most of the apartments are co-ops, not condos.  Henderson was too boring.  Chicago is great!  Similar culture to NYC, much much lower real estate prices and a very good transportation systems.  Love living here!  Do not miss NYC at all!

Honored Contributor

i live in eastern U.S.. near several huge cities. NYC, Philly, Balitmore, D.C.. all these cities are within a 2 hour drive from where I live and a whole lot of traffic jams. best to take mass transit if you want to visit.

the cities I would visit growing up is Chicago. Didn't live far from the windy city. a treat for us would be going to Chicago and O'Hara airport and watch the huge jets take off and land. It was a treat, I am going back to the late 50's early 60's.  

I have lived on Oahu for 5 yrs, right outside of L.A. for 7 yrs. and Chicago for 4 yrs. 

Honored Contributor

NYC is on the Atlantic jet stream, they can have mild winters.

Nothing like the weather in Buffalo!

NYC was great under a former mayor, not sure I want to partake now

I grew up in Fairfield County, CT-- best of both worlds.

CT is more rural & small town-ish than some folks think, then if you want the bright lights of a big city, hop the train to NYC.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet  St. Augustine sounds just like Houston.  You forgot to mention all the bugs, mosquitos, alligators, snakes. 

I daresay there are many wonderful cities in the US but no place is perfect. They all have crime, homelessness, drug problems, traffic, not enough money to solve all the problems. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I vote for Boston too - lived there many decades ago.  But I've always dreamed about the state of Conn. - it has mild winters - a real money place - and not so far South to have severe bugs - humidity & high crime.

@fthunt  Connecticut has mild winters? As compared to what, Antarctica? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment