Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Moscato is my preference and would rather have a glass of water over any Red wine.  But will bypass all wines if whiskey available, no soda or ice necessary.

@beckyb1012, although I am no longer imbibing, my husband has a little Scotch every few days before dinner (sounds like the 1950s, eh?).

I could never stand the taste of it, but for some reason, now I love the smell of it so much that I make him let me get a good sniff (more like "huff") of it. Egads is it amazing!

@suzyQ3 ,

I am exactly the same! I hate the taste of Scotch, but love the smell.  "Huff" is exactly right. I do the same when  a friend is drinking Scotch.

Respected Contributor

@songbird it's funny that you mentioned being born in Italy and drinking wine with meals when you were young.    I lived in Germany for a few years when my husband was in the service and while we were there one of our friends married a young lady from Italy.  

She often spoke of how young children in Italy start drinking wine at a very young age during mealtimes with their families.  

Being raised in the US that seemed very strange to me but in Italy that is really is the norm.    She also spoke of how spaghetti was, in her home, used as an appetizer, not the main course like it is usually served in the US.   They would have a small portion of spaghetti and then the main dish.

On a little bit different note, you spoke of liking French wines, so do we.   In our wine store, I have found several French wines that are very tasty and reasonably priced.  

We don't like to spend over $15.00 for a bottle of wine and I have found many from France that are, to our tastes, quite good.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you like wine?

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl wrote:

@songbird it's funny that you mentioned being born in Italy and drinking wine with meals when you were young.    I lived in Germany for a few years when my husband was in the service and while we were there one of our friends married a young lady from Italy.  

She often spoke of how young children in Italy start drinking wine at a very young age during mealtimes with their families.  

Being raised in the US that seemed very strange to me but in Italy that is really is the norm.    She also spoke of how spaghetti was, in her home, used as an appetizer, not the main course like it is usually served in the US.   They would have a small portion of spaghetti and then the main dish.

On a little bit different note, you spoke of liking French wines, so do we.   In our wine store, I have found several French wines that are very tasty and reasonably priced.  

We don't like to spend over $15.00 for a bottle of wine and I have found many from France that are, to our tastes, quite good.   

I do love French wine.  Am never that wild abut Italian wines.  I love a good, dry red win with my food.  It's not just in Italy.  In France, children are introduced to wine in a early age.  Most of it is watered down,  but by the time they are in their teens, they drink it.  In Spain too.  Italy, like China have different types of food by region.  There are Chinese wines too.  Per cost of wine, the only time we splurged is New Year's and its always Champaign.  I LOVE Demi Sec.  So sweet......but I would only drink it with desert....

Periodically we hear stories of high school French clubs going to France and sipping the wine. Of course the waiter will give to them.  It's normal.  Back home, when they hear of this, they can't attend their graduation as punishment. In the north we eat rice instead of pasta.  Our food is heavily sauced and is similar in taste to French cooking. 

Valued Contributor

@beckyb1012 

YellowTail  Has a bubbly Moscato that  is excellent!

Honored Contributor

No, not at all.  In the past I'd have maybe 1 beer.  My late husband used to tease me and say I was a cheap date because one beer and I'd be drunk.

I don't drink at all now.  On my birthday I'd have a Pina Collata (but it had to be made with real ice cream).

Not a drinker.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

Nope, never touch the stuff.

hckynut

hckynut(john)