Honored Contributor

Re: Do you like, or use the self-checkouts at the stores?

@bluetail fly wrote:

Magicmoodz thanks for pointing out I responded to the wrong person.  And aologies to luckycharm.  I haven't yet figured out how to reply to or quote specific posts.

@bluetail fly  On the post you wish to reply to there is a red reply on the bottom right. Use that. Next look up to the top right and you will see 'quote' use that. Then type in the @ and a choice of names will pop up. The first name will be of the poster whose text you quoted. Use that then type your post. Sounds a bit complicated but it's easy. 

Respected Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Not in grocery stores, unless I ran in for just a few items.

But always used it in Walmart...lines awful and slow, only a few cashiers used out of about 10 registers. The self-checkouts there are quick and easy...so much better. Walmart must be encouraging that, hence the 2 out of ten cashiers. 

This is exactly why they only have two cashiers even when it's busy, so that you'll do the job of the cashier at a self checkout instead and they save on labor. You are being free labor for them. Do you get a discount for doing that? Nope!

So this is a hard no for me. 

Respected Contributor

I've gotten use to the self check.  I like it because I've gotten pretty good at it and it's quicker.  I think I'm better at bagging the items.  I have to say, it can be a real workout when I have a basket full.  That's ok.  I count that as exercise.  I haven't noticed a cut back in store personnel.  I was told they are doing other jobs there.  Maybe dealing with the pick up service.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

you notice now walmart even has those robots with the banner on them saying "I'm working please don't touch me".  Everything is going automated.

They don't want to hire people and pay them wages and benefits, so, here comes the self checkouts.  They force you to use them because they only man 2 lanes out of 15. Somebody always has 2-300.00 worth of stuff ahead of you, plus, a screaming kid .  So, you make a bee line to the self checkout where the monitor gal watches you like a hawk

Hard to use coupons in self checkout mine are always declined, so, that's a hassle "CSM, CSM"!!!! she has to put in her credentials, do a override, on and on like that.   They want to make stuff go easier, but, all they have done is make it harder.

I got into it one day with a worker and was gonna turn her in to the manager over those **** 6 ft. carts that they use for the people who shop online. I"m not getting into a discussion on that in here because I don't need the grief, but, suffice it to say it's good for the elderly and the handicapped, but, that should be the extent of it.

shopping at walmart is getting to be like running thru a gauntlet. LOL

@SharkE 

I asked my local Walmart manager about the robot going up and down the aisles, and was told they inventory what is on the higher shelves, so they can determine what should go into the next order, and what they already have up on a top shelf.   

It didn't make sense to me.  They MUST have records of what has been shipped into the stores previously, and can deduct what has gone through the checkout process, so even if they don't know immediately where in the store something might be, they have it.   But maybe I'm missing something here. 

Honored Contributor

I use self checkout when it's offered. I don't make a list; depending on my memory, I believe, helps to prevent dementia.

I like to limit those handling my items and I like bagging myself so it's easier to put things away when I get home.

Trying new items appeals to me so if I see something that looks good, in the cart it goes. 

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I asked my local Walmart manager about the robot going up and down the aisles, and was told they inventory what is on the higher shelves, so they can determine what should go into the next order, and what they already have up on a top shelf.   

It didn't make sense to me.  They MUST have records of what has been shipped into the stores previously, and can deduct what has gone through the checkout process, so even if they don't know immediately where in the store something might be, they have it.   But maybe I'm missing something here. 

The robots probably catch the shrinkage.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

And do you think you can shop and not be tempted as you walk through the store, to buy things you may not need?

I'm always tempted by something, it seems! Smiley Happy

I don't really like the self-service lanes because it seems like the scanners are really fussy.

If you accidentally lean up against them with your coat or purse for example, it will tell you that there's something extra in the bagging area or something like that, and then you need to call someone over to help you reset it.

The nice thing about them that has been mentioned is that you can bag your own items the way that you want to.

When someone else does it, I usually have to rearrange them so that they're not so heavy for either my husband or me to lift and carry.

Trusted Contributor

I always use the Self Checkout.  Never browse.  In and out for just what I need.  Even pre-pandemic I didn't like cashiers touching my items.  I can't tell you how many times I used to have to change checkout lines before they had self checkouts because a cashier sneezed or coughed into her hand or if they obviously had a cold.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

Hate them, something always goes wrong and it takes longer to get out.

@panda1234  I so agree. The stores always seem to have someone stationed at the self checkout lanes to deal with glitches. From where I sit, I'd rather see them simply have that 'extra' person open another register... I don't like them and only use them if forced to or when I only have an item or two... I used to be tempted to browse and ended up with items not on my list... These days, when I go, I get in and out as expeditiously as possible, but am also using the delivery options...

@stevieb   You are so right, they could use that extra person to open up another register. 

Valued Contributor

Wegmans now has a Wegmans Scan app.  You download the app and sign into it at the store. You can then scan and bag as you shop, when finished scan your bar code at the self check out and use a credit/debit card for payment. 

I am very pleased with the app and the process.  I only use it when my shopping will only be no more than 2 bags.

Helen852