Honored Contributor

Re: Do you like going to movie theaters?

I remember the days when people smoked in theaters. It was horrible.Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

No.  Sticky floors, untidy bathrooms, even in high cost of living areas.  Someone here mentioned higher-quality, clean theaters, (recalling: similar to the ones we had in my twenties.  The nicely ulpholstered rocking seats, all spotless.  We all wore low heels, nice coats, etc. Boy, what a difference...... .)  I'll have to search for one around here, if there are any at all. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Yes. I love going to the movies on Sunday afternoon with my family. I view it as a mini-vacation. When tickets were less expensive we would go more. It has been several months since I have been to the movies.

I love watching movies on TCM too.

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

No, generally I hate it. I've never liked going to the movies. Overpriced tickets, overpriced concession stand, peeking between people's heads to see, trying to ignore brats yelling, running around or kicking the back of my seat, and adults who won't shut up. Then there's the sticky floor.

The only movie theaters I'll go to now are the plush ones with special seats, food served, etc. They cost enough that you get at least a decent experience.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

@Moonchilde  ....

Agree with everything in your post!   The last time I went was to a special showing of The Help ... with the plush seats, wine beforehand and dinner served during the movie.   It was an excellent adventure.

@SoX and moonchild, what is a name of the theater? I don't think we have any in my area. I would consider going to one of these.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I love going to the movies but it's so expensive that we only go to see movies that we really, really want to see on the big screen.  There's a movie theatre near us that has deluxe seating.  Big comfy leather reclining chairs and they bring your food and drinks to you.  There is also a restaurant section where you can order a gourmet meal and there is bar service.  We haven't actually done that yet but we do Deluxe seating.  We go very late and avoid the kids and toddlers and baby carriages and crying infants....that ruin the experience. 

Honored Contributor

Depends on the movie and the theater. In Texas, we have the Alamo Drafthouse, which serves a meal during the movie, has a strict no talking/texting policy, doesn't let people in after the movie starts, and has special events. Events include sing-a-longs with musicals, quote-a-longs with favorite movies, and sometimes props, like an inflatable air guitar. They also play a lot of older movies as well as the newest movies.

Every year the US Bartender's Guild in Austin puts on Texas Tiki Week and one of the Alamo Drafthouse theaters is a venue. They play a classic beach movie (Blue Hawaii, Beach Blanket Bingo) and have Tiki cocktails. SO much fun!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The last time I was in a movie theater was when I took my mom to see Titanic in 1997. If it wasn't for her, I would not have gone. I just don't see the point of going to a theater when I can watch it on my big screen tv.Woman Happy

I do not have the distractions in a theater that I do at home. Also better sound and picture quality. It's fun Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ  ...

I honestly don't remember the name of the theatre ...it was a fund-raising event with tickets sold beforehand ... It was in a southwestern suburb of Chicago ... probably a local chain, though.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

The sound is way too loud.........afterwards, I can't hear for 3 days

Glad I'm not the only one! I sit in any row *between* speakers, i.e. as far away as I can get. Do they think everyone's deaf, or are they trying to make everyone deaf?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

ChynnaBlue:  Wow!  You are indeed very lucky to have such a nice theater!  Please send my thanks to the owners.  It's so refreshing to know that their theater exists.  Heart  Enjoy!!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).