Honored Contributor

Re: Do you like bagpipes? or have a story on them?

[ Edited ]

I don't care to listen to bagpipes but I did date a Scottish man who played a bagpipe in an international travelling Scottish bagpipe band. He was always gone so I never kept in touch. His Scottish accent melted me.Heart

Super Contributor

Years ago, my husband and I were walking down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, Scotland when suddenly a man, dressed in the traditional kilt, began playing the bagpipes.  It was summer and there was a slight mist in the air.  I’m sure this man was probably hired by the chamber of commerce to charm the tourists, and it worked!  Everyone just stopped to listen. It was one of those unforgettable travel moments.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal   Amaing Grace with bagpipes and drum is  absolutely beautiful !

Esteemed Contributor

My mom and mil were both born in the UK.  I don't like bagpipes either.  We were married on 03/14/70 & every restaurant in town serves corned beef & cabbage on St. Patrick's Day. Yuck.  We are still trying to figure out where to celebrate our upcoming 50th wedding anniversary.  

@pigletsmom wrote:

I'm Irish, come from a firefighting family and I hate bagpipes. And corned beef! Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I've loved the sound of bagpipes since the first time I heard them being played. I was fascinated when a piper gave "a tour" of the instrument and explained how it's played. 

Respected Contributor

Scottish heritage and love the bagpipe, Irish heritage and also love the uilleann pipes of the Irish.  I had a Scottish bagpiper at my father's funeral to honor my father's life.....

Super Contributor

One of the two public high schools in my town has a bagpipe corps in their band.  It's an honor to make the bagpipe section.  Decades ago it was only male but has been coed for years now.

We also have a Celtic fest in September here and there are bagpipe competitions.  

Many a time, sitting in a parking lot at a local college waiting for my children to get through their music lessons, I would hear someone playing his pipes. 

I enjoy the bagpipes, and appreciate the skill it takes to play.

Valued Contributor

I really enjoy them. In our local park every nice spring and summer day a gentleman goes to the park and plays the bagpipes for a couple hours. Wonderful to go for a walk and listen to his music.

Trusted Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Am I the only one saying no?

I don't like bagpipes.

@esmerelda   Nope, you're not the only one, lol.  They make my head feel like my brain is splitting.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@Maestra1 wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

My heritage is mainly Irish.  Years ago at an elderly cousin's graveside service, a man stood at a distance and played the bagpipes.  It was haunting and beautiful.

My heritage is Highland Scots. This is what I would also want at my funeral to transport me beyond the veil.

Our clanfought at Sterling bridge w/Wm. Wallace and were later supporters of Charles Stuart at Culloden, where the MacLachlans fell.

@Maestra1 

How cool is that? Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~