Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you like bagpipes? or have a story on them?

I love bagpipes. At my husband's military retirement party a guy played them, there was also a mariachi band. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  Yes love the bagpipes.  

Coming from Brit military family my Dad said all the troops always said they could march much further  ‘behind the pipes’ nothing like a marching Highland Pipe Band.

Respected Contributor

There is a YouTube video of Glen Campbell playing "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes.

And Eric Burdon's song "Sky Pilot" includes a rendition of "All The Blue Bonnets Are Over The Border" ...Sky Pilot is awesome!

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I am one third Scottish. The only way to listen to typically Scottish standbys is with bagpiipes. I have several CD's of just that. Amazing Grace was used at both my dad's and my mom's funerals. It gives me goosebumps when I hear that hymn on bagpipes. I was born in the United States, but when I hear Loch Lomand and other Scottish songs, I feel a deep patriotism in my heart.

Amazing Grace played on bagpipes always brings tears to my eyes.

It just sound more solemn, more haunting.

We didn't know any pipers for my dad's memorial, but his neighbor played Amazing Grace on the flute. We held the memorial at the beach club where they lived in a hexagonal building on the Straits. The flute was haunting as the sound bounced off the various sides of the building. I had a bagpipe recording of the same song for my mom's memorial. It DOES bring tears to hear it.

Occasional Contributor

A group called "Off Kilter" used to perform at Epcot.  They were so popular, they ended up going on tour.  You can check them out on you tube.

We really loved them.  Wish they were back at Disney!!

Honored Contributor

I've always liked bagpipes, however, when I attended a Celtic festival and listened to them for about 6 hours, I thought I'd lose my mind.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my uncle immigrated to the US, he was 17 and brought his mother, his younger sister, his kilt and his pipes.He found work on the docs in Philly and eventually started his own business. He melt one of my Aunties had a family and died leaving behind a solid company, a large family and a fortune for them to enjoy and invest.

He wore his kilt when most men would dress "fancy" and played the pipes at funerals, in marches...whenever they were requested. His sons were taught the pipes, they taught their sons and wow, amazing to hear them all. His daughters play the piano and cello and they had their daughter take up the cello and violins and when they all played together.... . touches your soul.

He was buried in his full attire and with his pipes by his side.

My dad, when buried, had a sole piper playing Amazing Grace. The simplicity and grace of the pipes....will never forget it. I'm sure my dad was smiling from above.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal I adore them. I've read quite a bit about what goes into the making of them and learning to play them and other traditions associated with the pipes. Being half Scottish, I guess that's natural.

Esteemed Contributor

When I got home from my dad's memorial service, I played this video of bagpipes playing "Amazing Grace".

I cried then, and I cried now listening to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq54jb_5WCI 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@rcfan wrote:

A group called "Off Kilter" used to perform at Epcot.  They were so popular, they ended up going on tour.  You can check them out on you tube.

We really loved them.  Wish they were back at Disney!!

We bought all their CDs. And I know that after my son saw Off Kilter perform at Walt Disney World a few times, that was the reason he wanted to learn to play the bagpipe.

I also wish they were still performing at Walt Disney World. They could get the crowd going.