Honored Contributor

Do you like bagpipes? or have a story on them?

Watched some YouTubes on them the other day, holy smokes!!!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you like bagpipes? or have a story on them?

Yes, I enjoy bagpipes. My town is over half Irish and we have many bagpipers here.

Honored Contributor

Love them! Had a recording of bagpipes played after our vows were said at our wedding.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Valued Contributor

love bagpipes! Some people run away from them. I run toward them!

Esteemed Contributor

Don't mind them at all. What talent you must have to play them. Amazing. The only story I can share is on Thursday's, (yes it is every Thursday) at my local supermarket a gentleman waits for his wife in the car and blasts bagpipe music. It is very loud. All kinds of weather the windows are open and this music is blasting. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my son was 14 he said he wanted to learn to play the bagpipe. The only class we could find for beginners was an adult education class. So I talked to the people running the classes about his age. They said since we would have to drive him to the school and staying during the class, that they had no problem with him taking the class.

We asked my son why he wanted to play the bagpipe, he said "because it is hard and no one else does it".

So he went to classes for at least 2 years and progressed. A band asked him to join. The band performed with a Symphony Orchestra and in parades. We bought the bagpipe, hand made kilt, jacket, sporran and other necessities.

After about 4 years, he didn't want to play anymore. So we still have all the gear. He hasn't touched anything since then.

PS - His band played in the Tartan Days Parade down 5th Avenue in New York City It was 10,000 bagpipers from around the world all playing together. Each band was given a list of songs that they had to know. So they all marched in large groups down 5th Avenue. Sean Connery was the Grand Marshal of the parade.

Trusted Contributor

Oh yes.  We had a bagpiper at our wedding, he played before I walked down the aisle.

Respected Contributor

My heritage is mainly Irish.  Years ago at an elderly cousin's graveside service, a man stood at a distance and played the bagpipes.  It was haunting and beautiful.

Super Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

My heritage is mainly Irish.  Years ago at an elderly cousin's graveside service, a man stood at a distance and played the bagpipes.  It was haunting and beautiful.

My heritage is Highland Scots. This is what I would also want at my funeral to transport me beyond the veil.

Our clanfought at Sterling bridge w/Wm. Wallace and were later supporters of Charles Stuart at Culloden, where the MacLachlans fell.

Honored Contributor

My husband's father emigrated from Scotland as teenager so when he passes; there will be bagpipes.  I am sure of that.  The older he gets, the more of Scot he becomes...LOL  I neither like no dislike them.  You always see them in the funeral processions of police officers and fire fighters and the St. Patrick's Day parade.