Respected Contributor

Re: Do you like Waggoner's Buckeyes?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@AnnMarie-1 wrote:

Is the peanut butter part good like real peanut butter, not full of sugar?

@Kachina624, what did you not like about them

@AnnMarie-1.  I don't like peanut butter.  I've tried the Christmas chocolates from all 3 shopping channels and find them all to be the quality of what you'd find at Walgreens, sort of hard and waxy.  Not really good quality chocolate.

@Kachina624 ~ I totally agree...I purchased the mint meltaways

last holiday season, and I would compare them to a big box store

lesser brand of chocolate.  NO quality in the chocolate or meltaway center at all.  My favorite still is Russell Stover French Mint Meltaways.

Respected Contributor

I like Waggoner's Buckeyes, but love the Caramel Dainties (peanut, pecan and cashew assortment).

Honored Contributor

I make buckeyes every year....I use hershey bars and the ghiradelli (spelling) chips....what is a better brand of chocolate to purchase?

Honored Contributor

I don't see where they'd be that much better than Reece's PB cups, which are a lot cheaper.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee....for me it is the idea of making them myself, and I have requests for them every year -during the holidays.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Pearlee....for me it is the idea of making them myself, and I have requests for them every year -during the holidays.

@Mom2Dogs  Oh, I wasn't addressing in my post the people who make them themselves.  My post was for someone contemplating buying Waggoners.  I understand about people making their own most of which I'm sure are way better than Reece's cups!

Honored Contributor

I tried an assoetment of their candies a few years ago and the candy was very good. Not a buckeye fan, but my husband is and he loved them. I rarely buy from Evine because of their high S&H and the candy I bought at the time was cheaper and S&H was included.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the comments here because this is a great gift idea for my hubby. Funny story though - I went to the Waggoner's website and started to order some of the Buckeyes for DH for Christmas. He was born/raised in Ohio (we don't live there) and he's a huge fan of Ohio State football and buckeyes. I about choked when I saw that Waggoner's shipping charges would be close to $12.....it was then that I realized you must be referring to Evine's! I checked them out and found a great deal with a gift tin and shipping charges of less than $3.....so thanks to all of you for your comments about Ohio-based Waggoner's candies and what turned out to be a great suggestion for me. Appreciate it!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your comments, I appreciate it!!

Hi Chickenbutt, I am doing good, had quite a year, back home to NY state as hubby got his job back...was in MA/CT area...broke my wrist slipping on ice while there, plate & screws, no fun...I hope you are doing well!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

No. As a born and raised Buckeye, we know how to make killer buckeyes.  There is nothing like a homemade Buckeye.

The first time I had one something just tasted meh with it.  Then last week I heard the rep say they use peanut butter fudge dipped in chocolate.  Ummm, no.   

@Lipstickdiva

You beat me to it, but I agree, there is no such thing as a good 'manufactured' buckeye candy. They have to be home made, and even then, there are a few things that make or break it, a big one is the chocolate used. 

Many home made recipes call for melted chocolate chips, and that is not the best chocolate to use. 

I buy Merkins discs, and they are much richer and a more smooth chocolate. 

Even candy manufacturers here in Ohio don't get it right. I'd call the factory made pieces what the *ichigan people call them...peanut butter balls. They certainly don't live up to the honor of being called a buckeye!

@Mominohio

Oh @Mominohio, you have brought back many memories!   Almost 40 years ago, I used to make handmade candies for sale.  I was a young mother trying to make Christmas a little better for our young family.  I purchased Merkens disks back then and agree with you-they have a "fine candy" taste to them-other disks taste good but more like drug store chocolate compared to them.  I was under the belief the company had gone out of business!   Of course that was years before the internet and I have not thought of them since.  I no longer have my candy molds but would love to purchase those disks for candy once again.  Thanks for the memories-I'm off to google their website!  By the way, I never made buckeyes or peanut butter balls when I made candy.  Is there a way you would be willing to share your recipe?   If not, I understand.  Thanks again and have a happy holiday!