Honored Contributor

Re: Do you let water faucet drip

we turn our outside water off for those lines that are not insulated.

we have heat in our home so i am not sure why we would need to let faucets drip? so no, we do not let our faucets drip.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

No, just  check  makesure the heat is on in your home .

water pipes located  on the outwalls  or below  windows ,  my husband  wrapped  the pipes  in an insulated  material .

The one and only time  40 yrs ago  that I let the water drip  all night at my sink that was on an exterior wall below a window , the pipe froze up. So, my husband jsut wrapped the pipes in an insulated material and I never again let the water drip again at night

Honored Contributor

I am in WV and in the 39 years we've lived in this house, we have never let the water drip, nor had frozen pipes. Our basement is heated, so the water pipes are always warm.

Back in the winter of 1975-1976, we had a frozen water pipe that burst in our mobile home kitchen in January. That was a very long, bitter cold winter, and there was no way my husband could get underneath the house to run new lines, so we had no kitchen water until April!
Respected Contributor

Yes. We have some pipes on outside walls, and here in Texas, no basements. We've also opened the cabinets below our sinks. 

Our house looks pretty weird inside right now, but it's better than a burst pipe. 

I just hope we don't run out of electricity. They've been warning on the news that we might exceed our capacity. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I lived in a trailer yes we had to. But in my house no. 

Esteemed Contributor

YES!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I’m in South Texas and we do it when temperatures get freezing cold 🥶 

Trusted Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Yes, If it's going to 20 F or less I do a slow drip in one of the bathroom faucets and also leave a cabinet door under my kitchen sink open because it's on an outside wall and an older home w/little insulation. During a frigid winter a few years back the cabinet thing was recommended on my local tv station. 

THAT is so genius and easy to do-THANK YOU!

Honored Contributor

I live in the PNW and we do not get much severe winter weather but whenever the temp get down to freezing I leave a faucet up stairs dripping and leave the laundry room doors open because there are no heat vents in there.  

Respected Contributor

No, I live in a townhouse. All my pipes are in attached walls.