Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you let water faucet drip

[ Edited ]

Yes, we definitely do when it gets below freezing.  We don't want to wake up and find our pipes frozen. 

Trusted Contributor

We let the water drip when the nighttime temps go below 0. We've done it ever since we had the pipes freeze one winter long ago. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I'm in SC and when it gets really cold, I let the faucets drip and open the cabinet doors.

Honored Contributor

No, it is usually not necessary in Pennsylvania.  Most of our homes have full basements. The basements even if unheated are really not that cold.

We have left the water to drip when we were staying in our RV in the wintertime. We also wrapped pipes with heat tapes, but now the underbelly of our RV is heated and we just need to flip a switch to turn it on.

Valued Contributor

I do not in my current home, however, in my previous home I had a half bath in the basement that even though it was heated, I had my pipes frozen during the first winter I lived there. Every winter thereafter, I allowed the bathroom faucet drip from January through early March and I left the cabinet doors open. My neighbors always had issues with pipes being frozen and it cost them a lot of money to deal with it. 

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

Our pipes are inside walls too but also in the crawl space.. once it gets single digits we do...just in case...DH says it can't hurt and he'd rather waste a little water than have frozen pipes...our freeze proof outside faucets have never had a problem...yet...DW

@dancingwoman 

My original garden faucets were not the self-draining type. I had two replaced with the 'freeze-proof self-draining' kind and not by choice. The old ones froze, my house flooded in the spring and the cost to repair/fix the damages was jaw-dropping.  I pray that will never happen again.

Trusted Contributor

Geez @SilleeMee  that must have been traumatic...🤞everything goes well this winter...DH is plowing now...it's finally letting up some out there...DW

Esteemed Contributor

If it's sub-zero we will. We are on a crawlspace.

My sister has had pipes freeze in her powder room.

Honored Contributor

Fortunately our pipes are not against an outside wall....so we never had to worry about freezing....

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

Geez @SilleeMee  that must have been traumatic...🤞everything goes well this winter...DH is plowing now...it's finally letting up some out there...DW

@dancingwoman 

I'll be shoveling later, much later when the temps aren't so bitterly cold....which could be a couple of days from now. Good thing I don't need to go anywhere...LOL!