Honored Contributor

Do you let water faucet drip

Do you let water faucets drip in your house when the temps get arctic cold?

My Uncle said we should, and they do that in very cold weather.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

Re: Do you let water faucet drip

I'm in Texas where we obviously don't get much of this weather and yes we will be leaving some faucets dripping. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, If it's going to 20 F or less I do a slow drip in one of the bathroom faucets and also leave a cabinet door under my kitchen sink open because it's on an outside wall and an older home w/little insulation. During a frigid winter a few years back the cabinet thing was recommended on my local tv station. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, and we run a space heater in the basement bathroom to try to prevent pipes from freezing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did let them drip when I lived in a house which had pipes inside exterior-facing walls. Now I live in a house with all pipes located in the interior walls. The only thing I'm concerned about is the outdoor garden faucets. Even though those are designed to drain away and towards the inside space, they are still vulnerable to freezing if it gets really cold...like it will get later tonight. I have placed insulation covers on those garden faucets and I'm praying they will help.

Honored Contributor

No, our pipes are in inside walls.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I do when it gets in the single digits and below zero. 

Trusted Contributor

Our pipes are inside walls too but also in the crawl space.. once it gets single digits we do...just in case...DH says it can't hurt and he'd rather waste a little water than have frozen pipes...our freeze proof outside faucets have never had a problem...yet...DW

Honored Contributor

Back when I lived in the Big D...yes.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

No - pipes in inside walls and basement is heated.

3 outside faucets - cut water to those areas in the Fall