Honored Contributor

Re: Do you leave your car unattended when warming it up?....

No way!  I live where I don't have to worry about anyone driving off with my car, I just don't think it's safe.  The car could go rolling down my long driveway, across the road and into the ravine/woods!

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

Our cars are in the garage, so we don't have to warm them up.

We put a remote starter on my daughter's car.  She can warm it up but the car stays locked.  I don't know if that's a help or not...

My sister has a remote starter and loves it .... she parks in a lot and always has to brush it off in the morning.  Starting the car with the heater set to go on helps the brush off job go more quickly.

Esteemed Contributor

My car is kept in my garage, so I don't have to warm it up. However, I had a friend in a town just north of me who would go out and start her car to warm it up because it was old. On day she went out start it up and came back in the house to get the rest of her things and brush her teeth. Her husband was at the sink, and he looked out the window just in time to see someone drive off with his wife's car. Bad decision to leave keys in a car to warm it up.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

No way!  I live where I don't have to worry about anyone driving off with my car, I just don't think it's safe.  The car could go rolling down my long driveway, across the road and into the ravine/woods!

@Annabellethecat66

When you start a car with a remote, it's in park.  How is your car going to roll down your driveway?

Esteemed Contributor

That would be a big fat NO!

I was just talking to a co-worker today.  She gets up at 3:00 a.m. and will go out and start her car and then go take a shower and get ready for work.  I told her she's extremely lucky nobody has ever taken it even at that time in the morning. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

If warming the car for personal warmth only,

it seems extremely wasteful.

When gas was $3-4/gallon, I would think

that would make a dent in the budget...

especially over the course of long winter.

Where I used to live you needed to warm the car up before you could drive because despite scraping the windshield it still had a layer of frost and the heaters needed to defog the windows so you could see out. May be a little wasteful but so is paying a deductable for running into something. It is definitely a safety issue.

This is so true, Irshgrl. 

Sometimes you have to let the car run, to be able to scrape the ice off of your windshield. Ice can accumulate if you're parked outside somewhere, and it has snowed/sleeted while you were working/shopping, etc.

Some of us live where the temps. can get bitterly cold, as in regular winter temps. going way below zero, with bitter wind chills on top of those temps.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I NEVER leave my car running unless I'm in it!

Me neither.  I've lived in the northeast my entire life, and I've never left it running unless I was in it.  I rarely park in a garage.  I get in my car, turn it on, get myself settled, adjust the heat, and off I go!  Both the car and I are warm within seconds.

I would never leave my car running and unattended anywhere for any reason.  How can that possibly be worth the risk of not only someone stealing it, but also hiding inside?  An unnecessary risk, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

The only time I warm up the car is when it's been sitting in the parking lot at work all day and there is either ice or snow on the windshield.  I sit in it while it's warming up.  I never leave the keys in the car unless I'm in it.

That's what I do too, although I don't really think of it as warming up the car.  If there's frost or ice on the windshield, I sit in the car while it defrosts.  The heater is on, so I'm not cold.  It's second nature to me to do it that way, and I've never considered doing it differently.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a one car garage that we use when the weather is bad for our newer car. But our newer car has a self starter so the car is locked when started anyway.

Our older car DH takes to work (when its not snowing, if its snowing he uses the newer car), he does warm the older car up and come inside. He thinks its safe b/c we live in the country. Me- I don't trust it no matter WHERE someone lives, there are criminals everywhere! And I just heard on the news that it is against the law in our state  to leave the car on unattended. (Which I now told my husband)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

just curious......for those that have a heated garage.......is there any other particular reason it is heated other than to keep your cars warm? i dont think i have ever heard of heating a garage before.

Ours isn't heated but we have friends with a heated garage and it's because generally there is a workshop or something out there.

We have a huge bullet heater that my DH will turn on and leave running for awhile that will heat our entire garage.  He does that if he is going to be out there working on anything.