Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you know know a domineering person?

@hellie jo wrote:

My ex fil was a piece of work.He was not even close to being kind or loving.He ruled! My ex mil was not allowed to go to church because his lunch had to be ready at noon.Meals were to be ready when he got home from work.His wife was not allowed to drive a car or work outside of the home.She could not leave him even if she wanted to as she had no working skills or money.She was stuck.No thanks.

Tho my Gram didn't live in abuse, she did live in an era where women didn't drive or work outside the home.

She taught that a girl should have a little money put aside for herself. $5 in coupons at the grocery was $5 in her pocket. Sell some of her jams or take in a basket of ironing? That was hers, too. Just in case Gramps decided to bug out one day.

She was able to put back a nice stash for herself. Girl's gotta be creative sometimes.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I did, I divorced him,it saved me.....

Esteemed Contributor

I fully agree about a woman having her own money just in case. I wish my Aunt wouldn't have been in what I viewed as an abusive relationship for decades.  And the kicker is, that after 50 plus years of being at his beck and call, when she got cancer he did squat for her.  Their daughter took care of her til the end. She continued to wait on (care) for her Dad until he died.

Honored Contributor

While I know opinionated people, domineering ones aren't as common. 

Honored Contributor

I can't think of anyone like that right off the bat, however I have known people who were brash and closeminded. I chose to not have contact with them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I fully agree about a woman having her own money just in case. I wish my Aunt wouldn't have been in what I viewed as an abusive relationship for decades.  And the kicker is, that after 50 plus years of being at his beck and call, when she got cancer he did squat for her.  Their daughter took care of her til the end. She continued to wait on (care) for her Dad until he died.

For those that believe someone will miraculously change, there's a poem you can find online titled Mother Millie's Red Dress.

Respected Contributor

I have two in my life:  MIL & SIL

MIL is Romanian, SIL is Korean .... tempers galore, loud, obnoxious, live only for their selfish needs, do nothing for others.

For over forty years I have been cursed with these two relationships.  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have known several.  I think a domineering person is a person who is controlling.  You learn to set your boundaries and they learn there will be consequences if they step over them.  I could not live under someone elses thumb at the risk of loosing myself.  That's what this poor woman did and, yes, it is very sad she was willing to give her life away to a person like this.

Esteemed Contributor

Marriage is a partnership not a dictorship. There is also give and take. A co-worker did everything for her husband packed his lunch, laid out his clothes and everything else. that's fine if it's appreciated and there is some giving on his part. One morning she didn't realize his shirt was missing a lower button.  She found out when he yelled and ripped off the shirt popping the top 3 buttons and throwing it on the floor.  No, just no.

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I did, I divorced him, it saved me.....

Eight words I lived with, @fourpaws56  Nicely put.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.