Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you know know a domineering person?

When someone has a backbone to stand up to other people but not a spouse it only means you are risking losing all your other relationships. Just not your Ogre Spouse.

The more you tolerate, the more they will escalate.

Been there. Done with that.

Respected Contributor

Learning to set boundaries and stand firm was not an easy 

lesson for me, as I married a man who has a controlling nature. I was a very naive and sheltered girl, and he was a 

street wise tough kid. We balanced each other out somehow and over the years  became inseparable. 50 yrs

later we are happily together still.

Honored Contributor

I know a few controlling people, but they don't bother me.  I am my own person and speak my own mind and can't be controlled.  They usually don't even bother.

Sometimes, I admit, I have to talk myself out of trying to control someone else, especially if they are making a wrong decision.  The older I get, the better I am at keeping my mouth shut and letting them screw up.  You gotta learn somehow.

Honored Contributor

Yeppers, SIL who is just like late MIL.

I was NOT on their lists as marriage material, they did not hesitate to tell me so.

DH has a mind of his own, smiles and makes his own decisions.

Lucky me!  ♥️😍

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Luckily this guy was the only family member like that.  However, I had the misfortune to work with a couple of control freaks over the years.  The worst was a new hire who didn't like being at the bottom of the seniority pole. Made life miserable until one by one 3 people left and she was last one standing.

Honored Contributor

I’ve run into a few here. 

Respected Contributor

If any have passed through my life, I've  been unaware of their attempts to dominate me.  Once I reached adulthood, I developed a thick hide and have perfected what my friends call "the look."   I'm like D Con for bullies.  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I am married to one.

Honored Contributor

Yes....my sister, I wised up and we no longer have a relationship - she has cut ties with all sibings except 1......

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have known those types.  I always win at psychological poker games.  At least I think so.  If I'm happy, I'm happy.  Take a piece of me - go ahead.  I win.

I suddenly feel like Sonny Corleone.

Cogito ergo sum