Esteemed Contributor

Do you know know a domineering person?

My Uncle (my marriage thank God) was a piece of work. He & my Aunt had one daughter and he controllled her whole life. My Aunt had a backbone and a mouth for anyone else but not him.  He was never physically abusive to my knowledge.Had money but was so tight he squeaked.

Unplugged dryer / it raised electric bill

Meals were 7am, noon and 5pm, on the dot, period.

Used a woodstove but wouldn't pay for chord wood delivered, cut,split and stacked his

own even into 80's and my cousin was expected to help in her late 50's.

When HE was ready to leave somewhere he stood up and if you weren't fast enough his hand was in his pocket jiggling his keys. That would happen once with me.

After wife died he didn't want daughter going out at night the garage door opening woke him up.

He died last year at 93.  The only thing he ever did for her was to leave her financially set.

My sister said she never learned how to stand up for herself. She was never allowed to have her own voice.

She is finally able to do what she wants at 63 yrs.old

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you know know a domineering person?

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

My Uncle (my marriage thank God) was a piece of work. He & my Aunt had one daughter and he controllled her whole life. My Aunt had a backbone and a mouth for anyone else but not him.  He was never physically abusive to my knowledge.Had money but was so tight he squeaked.

Unplugged dryer / it raised electric bill

Meals were 7am, noon and 5pm, on the dot, period.

Used a woodstove but wouldn't pay for chord wood delivered, cut,split and stacked his

own even into 80's and my cousin was expected to help in her late 50's.

When HE was ready to leave somewhere he stood up and if you weren't fast enough his hand was in his pocket jiggling his keys. That would happen once with me.

After wife died he didn't want daughter going out at night the garage door opening woke him up.

He died last year at 93.  The only thing he ever did for her was to leave her financially set.

My sister said she never learned how to stand up for herself. She was never allowed to have her own voice.

She is finally able to do what she wants at 63 yrs.old

That is sad. Your aunt might not have had the means to make it on her own. I hope your cousin has a good life now. By the way, you post the most interesting things.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My sis, sis-in-law and mother-in-law. I know. They taught me how to set boundaries and the art of teaching people how to treat you. 'Be Silent, Be Safe' works nicely for me now that I set boundaries.

Good, generous people -- just the smartest, bossiest people in the room. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I think I might be a domineering person.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Yes,I know several dominating people. I had an Aunt (my dad’s sister)who thought that only she had the answer.She would stick her nose in everyone’s private business & demand that you take her advice.My dad would Yes her to death & then do what he wanted.He told me to do the same.😂

I had a friend who insisted on monitoring my every move. I was single then.She told me not to date DH.She insisted that he wasn’t good enough for me.Every chance she had she gave me grief over it.When we got engaged she insisted that I not marry him.That was the last straw.I cut her out of my life for good.The last I heard about her she was on husband #3!!

The last dominating person was my husbands cousin.When I had my son she started an argument with me while I was still in the hospital.She wanted to give me her kids hand me downs.I told her very politely that I appreciated the gesture but I was going to buy new clothes for my child.She blew a gasket!! Then she tried to tell me what cheap formula to buy.I told her I wasn’t going to mix my own but rather buy the ready made type.She started yelling that I was wasting money. I hung up on her.DH then called her up & told her to stay out of our business.She then went to my mil to complain. My mil told her to leave me alone!!

Honored Contributor

Stories like this make me so angry and sad at the same time. I hate domineering personalities.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Yes, I know several domineering people. I don't care to be exposed to them.

Honored Contributor

I am not a controlling person, but absolutely have a domineering nature.  

My first four jobs after high school, and my last job taught me many useful skills that have helped me be a fierce advocate for my husband thru the VA health care system.   I use my skills to make good things happen.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it's sad.  As someone who doesn't suffer fools I can't imagine living like that. She loved her Mom and Dad jerk that he was.  It took her a few months but she is doing well and finally having some fun.  She hooked the dryer up again. Oh, they had 2 cats and before he died there was a kitten she wanted, he said no. Well, she got another cat that her father didn't want and named Frank. (Dad's name)

30 years ago my DH and I were at Mom and Dad's for the weekend.  Sunday am I heard voices in the kitchen at 7:00 in the freakin morning.  Heard Aunts voice and I wanted to see her so I threw on a robe,washed my face and brushed my teeth. Ran my fingers thru my hair running downstairs.Went in the kitchen the "King" was leaning against the stove

bony arms across his chest. He looks at me and said, look what the cat dragged in. Looked him in the eye and said Hi Frank, I was thinking the same thing about you. Took the phony smile off his face. They had been in FL and stopped to drop off oranges.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop-

I know you do need that to be an advocate for someone in the VA system, you sure do!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"