Trusted Contributor

Do you know anything about using essential oils for your pet?

I have an acquaintance who has a dog that has seizures. Her dog had been having daily seizures when someone suggested to her using essential oils. She contacted a person who has a lot of knowledge and experience in this and found out that some veterinarians are also using essential oils to address a dog's needs.

My friend's dog has not had a seizure for the last month since she started the essential oil (sorry I can't remember which one she is using for this).

We have an Australian shepherd, and she has a high anxiety level and suffers from separation anxiety. We are aware that Aussies are very active and that is not what we are concerned with. It's her anxiety level. We have a wonderful dog trainer that is coming to our home to train US how to address certain situations, and our dog goes to doggie day care one day a week. Our trainer recommended this place and we inspected it and found it to be VERY clean (could not smell that even one dog was there much less many dogs), they group the dogs by size and temperament, and have three arenas for groups of dogs with an outside area for each arena.

Do you have any first hand experience with using essential oils for your pet? I guess it can be used for cats, too.

Thank you for any information you can share.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you know anything about using essential oils for your pet?

I use essential oils..try placing some lavender oil on a kleenex and placing under your pillow!! Wonderful..a friend of mine suggested it! I own many different oils..do some research..they all have different uses. My little minpin loves the lavender when she's stressed. I just let her sniff a little.! This is great news to know they're using it on our pets now! I inhale the peppermint oil and it relieves my headaches. Think of Vaporub..those are essential oils..the menthol, camphor and eucalyptus..they really work! You have to use carrier oils if you apply them to your skin. Just do some research..they're amazing!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, emmysmom. The gal that told me about using them for her dog also mentioned that she now uses them for herself for her migraine headaches. I am allergic to about every plant and flower in this area, so I think I would probably try lavender first and then see what some of the others are. Thanks for your info.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Super Contributor

On 2/3/2015 emmysmom said:

I use essential oils..try placing some lavender oil on a kleenex and placing under your pillow!! Wonderful..a friend of mine suggested it! I own many different oils..do some research..they all have different uses. My little minpin loves the lavender when she's stressed. I just let her sniff a little.! This is great news to know they're using it on our pets now! I inhale the peppermint oil and it relieves my headaches. Think of Vaporub..those are essential oils..the menthol, camphor and eucalyptus..they really work! You have to use carrier oils if you apply them to your skin. Just do some research..they're amazing!

YES! I definitely agree with you, emmysmom--I use oils for myself and have been amazed at how much they can help! We have used lavender on our dogs when they were stressed about firecrackers on the 4th of July......very awesome! Pinterest is a great resource to check out ideas and uses! Best wishes and hope oils can be helpful!
Honored Contributor

The link below is for a great company that specializes in holistic remedies for animals, including oils.

It's co-founded by animal mojo expert Jackson Galaxy.

http://www.spiritessences.com/

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/3/2015 wismiss said:

Thanks, emmysmom. The gal that told me about using them for her dog also mentioned that she now uses them for herself for her migraine headaches. I am allergic to about every plant and flower in this area, so I think I would probably try lavender first and then see what some of the others are. Thanks for your info.

You're very welcome! I slept like a baby after using some lavender under my pillowcase..its amazing! Emmy seems to love it too! The peppermint works for me when I feel a headache coming, I just inhale it several times. I tried that on my friend yesterday and it helped. She has chronic pain from migraines. Theyr'e very easy to find nowdays too!Smile

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/3/2015 feline groovy said:

The link below is for a great company that specializes in holistic remedies for animals, including oils.

Thanks!

-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, lucylover64, emmysmom and feline groovy. I will definitely go to that website as soon as I am done here.

Honored Contributor

On 2/4/2015 emmysmom said:
On 2/3/2015 feline groovy said:

The link below is for a <em>great</em> company that specializes in holistic remedies for animals, including oils.

Thanks!

Smile