Valued Contributor

Re: Do you know anyone with Bi-Polar Disorder?

On 1/9/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I used to know someone who was bi-polar. Back then, they called his illness manic depression. Whenever we were with him, he was OK because he was taking his meds, but we did hear stories of outrageous behavior when he suddenly decided he didn't need them. There was really some pretty bizarre stuff, but it was more in the things he said and certain actions, but he was never violent. Unfortunately, he took his own life during a period when he was off his meds. He was only 27.

It is still called Manic Depression.

Honored Contributor

My mother suffered from manic depression and yes, I frequently felt threatened and in danger. She was physically abusive to all family members. I remember being afraid she would kill our father.

Valued Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Pippy said:
On 1/9/2015 sylviahomeatlast said:
On 1/9/2015 tansy said: I worry more that I will lose a bipolar friend to suicide rather than being scared for my safety.

That makes you smile?

...and I can smile about whatever I want. Not at you. I would want tansy for a friend.

Frequent Contributor

OP, are you bipolar?

Valued Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Pippy said:

OP, are you bipolar?

Are you an adult?

Respected Contributor

Yes, but he died.
Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry, esmeraldagooch

Super Contributor

Yes, my DD has it. She takes medication and has been fine for the past several years.

Before her medications were adjusted, it was a total nightmare.

Respected Contributor

I've known several on a personal basis and never felt threatened by them. I felt sympathy for their suffering.

I also worked many years in the mental health field and in one particular instance in a day care outpatient facility with many who were diagnosed as bi-polar.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

I believe my older sister was Bipolar.. Still probably is. I have no relationship with her. I have not seen her in over 40 years. As a child growing up...before Bipolar was a word...she did odd crazy things. I will not name them all, but did scary things to me. She could be so very normal at times and was quite loving at that time....then turn into a raging maniac. I have bad childhood memories of her to this day. Thus my nonexistent relationship by choice. She was a genius intelligence, and a wonderful artist and illustrator. She was also a ballerina and very talented dancer.