Super Contributor

@Wahoogazwrote:

I crochet and knit. I just finished crocheting a baby blanket ... and 3 purses for the soon-to-be big sister. Now I'll have time to get back to the Hudson Bay blanket I'm knitting.

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was very young.  I taught myself how to knit from a book many years ago. It's so easy to learn new stitches these days with the internet.

Does anyone do arm knitting?  I tried it once with the really thick yarn, but couldn't fit enough stitches on my arm to make a throw ... much less a blanket. 

The next thing I want to try is macrame I've been looking for a really long plant hanger and haven't been able to find one - so I'll try making one.

Respected Contributor

@Wahoogazwrote:

I crochet and knit. I just finished crocheting a baby blanket ... and 3 purses for the soon-to-be big sister. Now I'll have time to get back to the Hudson Bay blanket I'm knitting.

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was very young.  I taught myself how to knit from a book many years ago. It's so easy to learn new stitches these days with the internet.

Does anyone do arm knitting?  I tried it once with the really thick yarn, but couldn't fit enough stitches on my arm to make a throw ... much less a blanket. 

I've never tried it but I've only seen the videos where they make a scarf with arm knitting.  I don't think I could it anyway.

Respected Contributor

I knit.

KnitPicks and Jimmy Beans Wool are some of my favorite sites for yarn. I like a lot of the hand dyed yarns, like Lorna's Laces.

And if you knit or crochet, you absolutely must check out Ravelry.com, the best resource of for knitting and crochet.

I have a few favorite knitting blogs, too.

Respected Contributor

@Wahoogazwrote:

Arm knitting absolutely falls into my "just because you can do something doesn't mean you should" category. When I'm knitting, I can set my project down and take a drink, blow my nose, use the restroom, answer the phone, change the channel, etc. If you're arm knitting, you're literally bound by your project and can't do anything until you finish a row. You have to remove all the yarn to use the bathroom or eat something. 

It's a novelty, and there's plenty of room for novelty things, but that's not one of the novelty things I'm into.

Honored Contributor

I use to do needlepoint, and tooting my own, horn made many beautiful pieces. I would love to learn to knit and/or crochet. My mother knits and when I was younger she tried to teach me ( tried being the operative word). Either she was a lousy teacher or I was a terrible student because I never learned.

Respected Contributor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gCjHfA634

arm blanket on youtube  

one video said she slipped her stitches on a scarf when she had too many

Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

I knit.

KnitPicks and Jimmy Beans Wool are some of my favorite sites for yarn. I like a lot of the hand dyed yarns, like Lorna's Laces.

And if you knit or crochet, you absolutely must check out Ravelry.com, the best resource of for knitting and crochet.

@Alison Wonderland

Check out:

Purl Soho

Expression Fiber Arts

Scheepjes Bloggers via their website

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@Alison Wonderlandwrote:

I knit.

@Alison Wonderland

Check out:

Purl Soho

Expression Fiber Arts

Scheepjes Bloggers via their website

Purl Soho has a lot of Brooklyn Tweed patterns! I've long loved Jared Flood'ss blog and it's great that he's gone on to have his own company, manage a team of designers, and even create his own yarns.

Honored Contributor

I know how to do both, but really don't do either right now.  I always preferred to crochet because I think it's easier and less stressful.

I think knitting lends itself more to clothing, while crocheting more to afghans and the like.

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you knit or crochet?

[ Edited ]

I knit and crochet.  I like using Lion Brand thick and quick for knitting winter hats.

Right now I am working on a counted cross stitch Christmas stocking for my daughter in law.  I like the Dimension brand for these as they are very detailed.