Honored Contributor

@house cat.....very cute/nice blankets!!

My mom could sew, knit, crochet.....I sewed a 'little'....I have a couple of things that she made that I inheirted, when a family member has/had a baby I gave them away.

I was not given her talent, sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have been knitting since I was a little girl. I just finished a beautiful jacket, hat and blanket for a newborn. 

Esteemed Contributor

I find knitting very relaxing but have become lazy in my older age.  I no longer want to do complicated patterns where I have to pay attention so I have been choosing easy scarf patterns that I can do while watching tv, but how many scarfs can I make!  I only use nice yarns but it is expensive.  My problem is that if I make a mistake I am not good at ripping out and picking up the stitches or fixing the error.  I have not been able to find a knitting class that focuses on how to fix errors.  I find the videos on how to do this too confusing.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I crochet baby blankets, sell them and donate the proceeds to St. Jude's Children's hospital.  These are a few examples of blankets I sold recently.  They're not professional quality and I only sell locally to friends and friends of friends.  I don't charge a lot and every penny goes to the charity so no one has complained about the little mistakes that seem to be part of each one....

sweet tweet 2018.jpg

pretty in pink.jpg

cookie monster blankie.jpg

lamb lovey.jpg

sugar and spice blanket.jpg

@house_cat  Your work is very creative and beautiful!!!

Cathy

Respected Contributor

Hi,

I learned how to knit as a child from a neighbor.

Now I knit sweaters for our dog (see her red white & blue in my pic?)  Even though I have eye problems I find mine fit her better than the ones in the stores.

It is also a great inexpensive hobby Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I find knitting very relaxing but have become lazy in my older age.  I no longer want to do complicated patterns where I have to pay attention so I have been choosing easy scarf patterns that I can do while watching tv, but how many scarfs can I make!  I only use nice yarns but it is expensive.  My problem is that if I make a mistake I am not good at ripping out and picking up the stitches or fixing the error.  I have not been able to find a knitting class that focuses on how to fix errors.  I find the videos on how to do this too confusing.

I agree it is hard to fix some dropped stitches and I think the videos sometimes only fix easy mistakes.  

One tip I saw had the person stick a smaller  knitting needle across the whole row  that had the mistake  and then she took off the original needle and ripped down to the mistake on the smaller needle.

Respected Contributor

I like the instructional videos for knitting  called Wool and the Gang but there a lot of different good ones 

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

I agree it is hard to fix some dropped stitches and I think the videos sometimes only fix easy mistakes.  

One tip I saw had the person stick a smaller  knitting needle across the whole row  that had the mistake  and then she took off the original needle and ripped down to the mistake on the smaller needle.

@lovescats  Thanks, I've tried that once and it is a good tip.  I guess it's best to pay attention and don't make mistakes!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

youre work is beautiful.  I'd proudly give something made from the 💝 before a store bought item & how wonderful you donate to St. Jude's (a charity very close to my heart).

My dearest & closest friend of 40+ years took up crocheting when her spouse died to keep her busy.  She moved to FL & now crochets little hats, booties, dresses, jackets & blankets for Arnold Palmer children's hospital premie section in Orlando.  Her work is beautiful.  

I-still have the beautiful afghan she made me for my bridal shower!

I sew never learned to crochet.  I find sewing very relaxing.

Honored Contributor

No, but my mom and older sister did and still do. 

However, I am interesting in something called Arm Knitting.  I've taken a free class at a local art studio, and watched some videos on youtube.  The only thing giving me pause is that it takes quite a lot of super chunky yarn to make something, and I want a throw, and perhaps pillows.  I love this jumbo knit pattern!

Arm Knitting Throw.jpg

Arm Knitting Throw 2.jpg

Arm Knitting Pillow.jpg