Honored Contributor

Do you have murals in your city?

I watched the most interesting virtual tour last night about murals in a small Iowa town that I have visited quite often.  They are revitalizing their old historic buildings with these famous muralists' and local artist paintings.  

Pretty fascinating as I have been of two minds about it and they did address the art vs historical preservation argument.  Basically in their town, private building + no current city painting ordinances = murals all over their downtown.  

I grew up outside of Philly so I'm familiar with street art which I have always appreciated but I was wondering if anyone else's town has gotten art happy lately.  It seems to be a trend.

Below is the latest one they did on the convention center downtown.  Over 700 people volunteered to paint the "Solidarity" mural.  Kind of cool.  The different colors and symbols on the wrists represent different communities and causes.

Mural.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have murals in your city?

None that I'm aware of.

Trusted Contributor

Someone purchased a huge empty lot on the next street.  Right now it is an empty lot because they are waiting on permits to be approved.  Going to be an enormous house, covers five city lots (used to be a parking lot for a former factory).  There is a fence on the rear of the property and the owner had someone paint a beautiful sign that says "Love is Contagious".  I believe a graphic artist actually did the work so it is not just some paint slapped up there on a fence.  The other day on the local news they had a segment about various murals in my city.  Lot of talented, artistic people out there.

Respected Contributor

Yes, a lot.  We live in a military/tourist town and they are everywhere.  Not a big fan...

Honored Contributor

None on any of the city buildings.  But a few businesses have them.

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 Also grew up outside of Philly where there are murals everywhere. The town that I live in now has a Mural Arts program that has been around for years. Love our murals! Many depict the history of the town.

Honored Contributor

@FlyersGirl   I think that's what captured my attention.  I really hadn't seen a town that got so art happy since I left home.  

Esteemed Contributor

I know of one nearby. I think they're fine as a welcome (Welcome to [name of town] and pics of something significant to the area). 

Other than that, they will be offensive to someone.  Count on it. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

None in the city I live in but the city I work in has a bunch of them.  I Love them.  They each tell their own story.

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda  Yeah as the guy was walking through there was a huge one done on the side of a gorgeous old historic building.  I thought the building had more character than the mural but he kept saying private building owner = private commission of art for the public.  Okay but, in that case, I liked the building itself more.