Valued Contributor

Re: Do you have money burning a hole in your pocket?

over $11 million donated so far

Valued Contributor

Closing in on $14 million 

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@drizzellla  how kind of that gentleman.

Auntg,  dear friend,                @AuntG  - 4-20-'20

this is a common custom here; an act of giving

( for the majority, where I live ) called ~  'Pass It On'. 

Usually it's a food bill (if children are appearing without)  anyplace we may be within any known or unusual sandwich place of business, or grocery areas if we were [being there].

Began around 9 years ago on Christmas Eve at a local town's mom & pop small diner when my husband was stopping by for coffee while traveling close- back home.

My husband had a cup of coffee. 

While waiting to pay, a lady came through and told everyone - whatever your bill is, there is no charge...the tab was paid in full for all. Everything is paid for.

{{  She shouted out:  'Just Pass It On '.  }}

There lies the tradition.

My mother did this when I was young and beyond, and always had toys for the children that had nothing for Christmas. We had apples, peaches and bags of walnuts.

Mother and Dad supported the Mission Home with groceries every single year for many people wondering by asking if there was any extra food  from the Bag of Grocery 'list' -----stacked up for this occasion -... any one that did come for that Christmas Eve. 

During The Great Depression, Dad told us that his grandmother and 'then' young girl made sandwiches and a hot drinks when anyone came to the door asking for help. 

During that time (as told), men made their shoes from cardboard boxes with a rope securely tied around and under to keep the snow off of their feet.

Giving is something I grew up with that ~was~ of a Good thing.

Money is not my God. 

Valued Contributor

Many meals on wheels programs are turning people away due to food insecurity. I enjoy reading about the auctions and the kindness of people donating to great causes. 

Any misunderstanding about this post is due to the crazy amounts people are willing to bid. I don’t have that much money but understand the benefit of the auctions to the organizations. 2FE0E158-6F74-45A1-B5E4-9197128728CC.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

I donate regularly to charities and wish I could do more.

Today I came across a crochet pattern from The Netherlands, free, so just HAD to find a vendor who would sell to the US.  This is a huge issue right now, because I use a fair amount of Scheepjes yarn, from the Netherlands, and the sources here are puny.  However, was able to find a brick and mortar store in British Columbia.  Yes, I'm paying more in shipping, but their Scheepjes "Whirl" price for that pattern was quite good and I'm happy to support a small business, especially at this time.

Respected Contributor

That’s too rich for my blood, but a group of my friends have doing “Fifty for Friday”. We have happy hour on Zoom in Friday afternoons and each put in $50 to be donated to the food bank in our community. We’re all still working. Since we’re not buying coffee and cocktails out these days, we’ve been able to funnel those funds to do some good for our neighbors.
Respected Contributor

I don't understand your post at all????

Valued Contributor

Over $21 million donated 

Valued Contributor

close to $41 million donated

Esteemed Contributor

I always buy what I need - and sometimes more.

I am now saving as much as I can --- and my CDs are adding up.

This is a change for me - and it feels so satisfying.