Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have anything from Shark that has lasted 5 years or more?

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D   Interesting you brought this up. Just about 10 days go, I realized that something was wrong with my shark corded stick vac. I bought it in 2017 so it was still under warranty. 

There is a hose  in the motorized head that cracked. Of course THAT was not covered under the warranty.... SO, my option to buy a new motorized head or to buy the hose part on Amazon and see if it is fixable....looking up how to replace the hose, it is not too easy....but the part only costs $6  so DH will attempt to fix. 

will keep you updated....

Honored Contributor

Yes, a vacuum that I use five times a week.

Honored Contributor

I only had one item - a canister vac.  Didn't last long.

It worked fine at first - but after a while it would overheat and stop working before I finished even one room.  

Small apartment, no pets.  But we get so much dust and lint (and I'm messy).   I've tried several brands - currently using a Dirt Devil.  Works great.

Trusted Contributor

Am glad to hear Shark vacs are good. I will look into those. Biggest mistake I ever made was buying a Dyson. It is a piece of something I can't write in here and have had nothing but trouble with it. The run time now is about 6 minutes. That's with a new battery. I have thought about throwing it over a cliff or backing my car over it....maybe setting it on fire would be more fun. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, my vacuum. I would only buy a shark vacuum.

Valued Contributor

I bought a Shark cordless. After a year it fell apart. Stopped working as the battery wouldn't hold a charge. We have tile floors and wood floors in the house.

I hate dragging out the corded vacuum to do the kitchen, hall way. But when the shark died, I decided to give them another try. Bought the newer model of the cordless, loved it and again the handle broke (tried duct taping it), then it stopped working.

I have a Dyson cordless and hate it. The motor is up in the handle making it so heavy to move around the house.

I'm still trying to find a cordless vacuum with the motor down by the base but can't find any.

I loved those Sharks but will not invest the cost to just get one year out of them.

Honored Contributor

@Ceci wrote:

I bought a Shark cordless. After a year it fell apart. Stopped working as the battery wouldn't hold a charge. We have tile floors and wood floors in the house.

I hate dragging out the corded vacuum to do the kitchen, hall way. But when the shark died, I decided to give them another try. Bought the newer model of the cordless, loved it and again the handle broke (tried duct taping it), then it stopped working.

I have a Dyson cordless and hate it. The motor is up in the handle making it so heavy to move around the house.

I'm still trying to find a cordless vacuum with the motor down by the base but can't find any.

I loved those Sharks but will not invest the cost to just get one year out of them.

not buying into cordless vacuums

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D Yes. My vacuum cleaner (6 1/2 years) and my cordless vac (5 years).

They both work like brand new. The secret is to clean and change the filters regularly. Problem is, replacement filters are hard to come by in retail stores and Shark charges a fortune for shipping if you order from their website. I get my filters from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

My shark is still going strong...9 years old.

Honored Contributor

@Ceci wrote:

@Ceci  Did you call CS? It would still be under warranty and they might have replaced it for you