Valued Contributor

Re: Do you have any self-diagnosed hypochondriacs?

@Karnerblue wrote:

@sam96 I'm sorry you're experiencing negative feedback.  I don't think you meant anything hurtful.  Good luck!  Woman Sad

Thank you, @Karnerblue , for realizing the true intentions of my post.  I think I'll just leave it at that, since trying has gotten me nowhere!  😕

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

No hypochondriacs in the family. But someone I used to work with went out with back issues and now she has dreamed she has cancer, lupus and a list of other diseases which all come back negative in testing and her back? Well suddenly that didn't bother her but now everything else does.

And I don't want to be mean, but frankly I think she is scamming the place she worked at because she has been on medical leave with full pay for 2 years!

When I had my spine surgery I got 120 days off, and I was fired when I couldn't go back to work anymore (Drs orders), and I have 11 MRIs (over the years) of various damage to my entire spine.

So I don't get how she is getting away with this and frankly I don't talk to her anymore because of it. I tried to be her friend and help her but she made excuse after excuse and kept dreaming up diseases  that werent there.

@Shorty2U

There is no one test for lupus.  It usually takes years for a diagnosis.  Your friend could not have had a test that showed negative for lupus.  She could have had a test that showed nothing, but that can happen with people who DO have lupus.

Esteemed Contributor

@sam96 wrote:

@Karnerblue wrote:

@sam96 I'm sorry you're experiencing negative feedback.  I don't think you meant anything hurtful.  Good luck!  Woman Sad

Thank you, @Karnerblue , for realizing the true intentions of my post.  I think I'll just leave it at that, since trying has gotten me nowhere!  😕

----------

sam96 I totally got your post. Just a topic some of us have experienced and interesting to talk about.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@sam96 wrote:

@Karnerblue wrote:

Sometimes that's best.  People build walls you just can't get through no matter how hard you try, they'll turn your intentions so far in the opposite direction.  It's frustrating.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

I don't think she meant any harm, either.  There is fairly new information on what used to be called Hypochondria.  

It can be known as Illness Anxiety Disorder or a Somatic Disorder.  It's treated with talk therapy and/or meds.  

This can be a pretty complex issue.  

Trusted Contributor

My sister is a hypochondriac, and worse, her husband is, too.  After 9/11, she was convinced she had Anthrax. She ran to the hospital and fainted in the emergency room, and when her husband witnessed this, he decided he had Anthrax, too, and fainted as well.  Of course, neither of them had anything except a case of the stupids. When we were young, she was always bringing home new remedies and had an arsenal of pill bottles in her room.  If anyone in her presence ever mentioned something like like they felt a cold coming on, she'd have to one-up them and say she had bronchitis.  If you had an upset stomach, she'd develop food poisoning.  We grew up in the same household, and I never got sick.  I'm very lucky, because I still never get sick.

Valued Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

@sam96 wrote:

@Karnerblue wrote:

Sometimes that's best.  People build walls you just can't get through no matter how hard you try, they'll turn your intentions so far in the opposite direction.  It's frustrating.

@Karnerblue  @sam96  I agree with both of what you said.  It's frustrating when it happens to you. 

I know you @sam96 didn't mean any harm and I did find it comical your MIL eats a pack of donuts with the supposed ailment.   My own mother sometimes diagnosis herself with weird illnesses and we just shake our heads.  It usually involves some food and very contradictory behavior on her part.

Trusted Contributor

@Karnerblue wrote:

I concur with you, KB, that 96 did not mean to be derogatory. She was just expressing her frustation at having a relative who is, in fact, truly blessed yet always looks at the glass half empty and seeks attention. 

She was not describing a person who does have medical or psychiatric illnesses, IMHO. When my dearly departed family member would start in on her ailments my sister (also deceased now) and I would make eye contact and then promptly change the subject. It's better to be optimistic, even if you feel you are suffering. Debbie Downers are soul su**ing.

dee

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My MIL tended to be a hypochondriac and since her death my sister-in-law has stepped into her shoes.  Both frequently discussed others they felt were hypochondriacs.

I'm not sure what's more difficult to deal with, hypochondriacs or those who think they are the only people in the world afflicted with medical conditions.

Honored Contributor

@sam96 wrote:

@151949 By "self-diagnosed hypochondriac" I mean that as soon as some health-related thing stares becoming news, suddenly she will claim to have symptoms, even though she isn't sure what those symptoms are until she looks them up on the internet (her story changes all the time).

Her doctors run thousands of dollars in tests, confirmed by her nephew (our cousin, a dr) showing nothing wrong.  No one ever observes her symptoms.  She's always alone when they happen.

The celiac is just the latest.  We had the blood test and even the biopsy.  All clean.  Even the psychiatrist says there's no reason for her behavior...she's got no signs of a major mental health disorder.  They've all told her she's fine!  In fact, she's in excellent health, and we all want her to celebrate her great gift.

So, when she "sneaks" wheat-based foods almost daily, which you can't do if you're truly a celiac, and keeps insisting she's ill...we say the Drs say you're not!  It's just one big circle.

@sam96 I have a family member that reacts to whatever the symptom of the day is (meaning whatever may be in the news).

The last time the doctor basically threw her out of the office so he could concentrate on truly sick people . . . I applaud him and put up with her.

And may I add this is what is adding to our crushing overall healthcare costs.