Valued Contributor

Do you have any self-diagnosed hypochondriacs?

In your family?  I have my MIL, who believes she is a celiac despite what her doctor says, and despite the fact that she can put down half a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts with no ill effects (I mentioned this on another thread)!

This is a constant source of amusement and entertainment with our family, and makes any get togethers interesting since food is a big part of family life.

What are your stories? 😄

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have any self-diagnosed hypochondriacs?

No I do not and neither do I think it's funny.
Respected Contributor

I absolutely know of one in particular.  People have thoughts of various subjects, personal health being one.  They can become fixated or zone in on their health and it is unhealthy.

The human brain is very complex and that is why we all have "issues" of one form or another.  I am an imperfect being and a daily work in progress.

I am not the least bit offended in the OP.

Honored Contributor

My ma and her ladyfriend bought a medical encyclopedia together.    Between the two of them, they had symptoms of everything............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
No I do not and neither do I think it's funny.

@Lila Belle My post was not meant to be offensive, and we all do not wish my MIL ill health.  In fact, we do our best to convince her that she is healthy and strong, just as her doctor has repeatedly assured her she is!

It's strange to have her insist she has a serious ailment her doctor has repeatedly told her she does not have in the presence of family, and watch her regularly consume food that would hospitalize a person with that affliction, yet she has no ill effects at all.  Instead of the constant arguing, we've elected to just celebrate her health instead!

If she wants to eat half a dozen donuts or other items (which would put her in the hospital if she were truly a celiac) and claim to be a celiac, then so be it!  But, that can't mean we, the people who love her, can't Get a kick out of it during moments of stress.

Respected Contributor

I don't have family members but I worked with someone who was.  She was at the doctors more than she was at work.  They would prescribe her medicine, she would have it filled, and then not take it.  Anything you had wrong with you, she had something worse ... or the same thing.  She spent her entire day whining and crying over aches and pains.  She even had a disabled parking pass and half the time didn't park in the protected parking spots.  Her daughter is exactly like she is.  She's 30 years old and addicted to meds. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

I think there are those who are hypochondriacs, and then there are those that really do not feel well, and the medical profession has no real interest in figuring out why.

Some people are scared about their health and conjure up things for whatever reason (attention, fear, etc.), and others truly do have issues, but I and my family personally have seen countless doctors (not just immediate family, but I'm talking over decades, and many in extended family) that really don't get to the root of someones pain, illness, symptoms, and don't seem to care to. Most have been 'vindicated' by eventually getting diagnosed, usually after much time and much looking for the right health care provider.

I think that some people's health claims need to be taken with a grain of salt, and others do truly have issues, just not a diagnosis to go with it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Karnerblue wrote:

I don't have family members but I worked with someone who was.  She was at the doctors more than she was at work.  They would prescribe her medicine, she would have it filled, and then not take it.  Anything you had wrong with you, she had something worse ... or the same thing.  She spent her entire day whining and crying over aches and pains.  She even had a disabled parking pass and half the time didn't park in the protected parking spots.  Her daughter is exactly like she is.  She's 30 years old and addicted to meds. 

@Karnerblue

It can be a form of anxiety disorder and there is some evidence it can be genetic, so it may not be a surprise her daughter is also like that.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe we have a couple on these very forums......

Esteemed Contributor

My nephew's wife thinks her three kids have tons of medical issues. They don't and are healthy. I wish she would count her blessings.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.