Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have any New Year's Eve and/or New Year's Day Traditions?

Nothing big here. 5-8pm small party at the barn for a potluck with riding pals. Then the couch with cats and husband for the duration!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the well wishes!  And the same to you and everyone else!  We can sure use them, can't we?  What a year this has been!  

Anyway, growing up we always had pork and sauerkraut on NY's day.  It was supposed to give us good luck.  

My husband and I have a shrimp ring and a NY's pretzel for NY's eve.  We don't go out.  We don't stay up late so we tape the ball dropping and watch it on NY's Day!  On NY's day we have pork and a bit of kraut.  Neither one of us is crazy about kraut.  My mother made it the best and I have tried to duplicate it but with no success at all!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

We have a casual NYE get together with DH's high school friends.  We have been doing it for years but had to stop when Covid hit.  We were suipposed to resume last NYE but several of the couples were ill, and on the side of caution, declined the invitation so we cancelled.

So far we have had one cancellation due to Covid, but everyone else appears to be well.  Fingers crossed.

Respected Contributor

No traditions.  I am loving that NYE is on a Sunday which means I will be watching football all day and night.  While watching I may take down the Christmas decorations as DD is off work that day and she can help.  

Honored Contributor

No traditions here really.  We will watch TV and try to stay up until midnight.  Generally we don't make it, LOL.   I'm happy too about the timing of it this year, I'll have football on all day Sunday and we just have a nice dinner together with some wine and NYD will  share some bubbly to ring in 2024 properly!  

Respected Contributor

@Pandalady , ABSOLUTELY......  GO DAWGS!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love reading about the dinner plans.  Oh lawdy, @AngelPuppy1 mentioned shrimp.    I love seafood.

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

DH usually goes to bed at his normal time on NYE...I may or may not stay up til midnight, just depends on how sleepy I am. We haven't been to a NYE party in many, many years...and those were not big blow-outs, just gatherings with some friends.

We're planning to put a pork loin in the slow cooker with carrots & mushrooms for New Year's Day.

@vermint That's just what we're doing!  I even have a new slow cooker with a probe coming tomorrow, so I'll test run it!  We'll have collards with ham and a pot of black eye peas also.  

Honored Contributor

My "tradition" is to stay home on New Year's Eve ... and try to stay awake until midnight.  

New Year's Day is a holy day ..... so Mass and then off to lunch with a friend.

Esteemed Contributor

No traditions, just another day.