Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have an Easter (bunny) story from your past to share?

I can't remember how old I was, but I remember the Easter when I was excitedly waiting to hunt Easter eggs in the backyard, when my mother said to me, You don't still believe in the Easter bunny, do you?  I remember that so well; I was crushed, since it must also mean there was no Santa either.

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll ............You and I have the same story just turned around.  If you havent already read my eariler post.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

When I was little, I was afraid of the Easter Bunny.   I think it was the big head and bulging eyes that frightened me.  Same with Mr. Met.  Now, I love both !!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all!!!  I read some of these to my husband as he had his lunch.  He really enjoyed them too.  That was like a little article I might have read in Reader's Digest.  So that was so nice of you all to write those memories.  Thank goodness for those.  Totally enjoyed those.

Honored Contributor

When I was pretty young, I heard my parents talking in bed early on Easter morning.  My mother who was soft spoken was talking loud and her voice startled me awake.

So, I listened.  She was giving my father grief over something, and he was saying " the kids will love them"

Since I was excited to get to see my candy basket, I got out of bed and crept downstairs.  In the bathroom, I found a cage with a live bunny and another one with 8 colored chicks.

I went back upstairs to get my sister and brothers up.  We were all squealing in delight, while my mother was fuming.

We weren't  allowed to keep the chicks for too long, but the rabbit was with us for years.  my father never brought home any more animals on Easter or any other occasion.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

It could be just an Easter memory, not necessarily one with a bunny.  But, any story for that holiday you remember.

I remember my sister and I got a new dress for wearing to church on Easter Sunday.  Talk about HOT.  Holy smokes, it was so hot!!! The material the dresses were made of, should have resulted in leaving us as two puddles in the street.  That, is my most remembered item of Easter time of the past.

@qualitygal, I actually do.  I tell this story all the time, in fact I told it this year.   I always say that here in New England you never know what Easter weather would be like, even when it falls in April!

Like you, when we were little, my younger sister and I always got new outfits for Easter Sunday: new dress, new white shoes, little purse, hat (Easter Bonnet Woman LOL), white gloves and a spring coat (I remember a plaid coat in  pastel colors). I am sure I am dating myself because who does this now?!  I was so excited to wear my Easter finery to church on Easter Sunday and we had a snowstorm (and Easter fell in April).  I was perhaps 8 years old, but I vividly remember being so disapppointed having to wear my winter coat, winter boots and mittens!  It must have left quite an impression, since I remember it to this day!

Valued Contributor

When my middle daughter was around three, she loved to tell jokes. My favorite is this one:  What goes hippity hop in the mud? The Easter Pig!   (you have to imagine the slight lisp she had. It was hilarious.)

Trusted Contributor

My family is Jewish so we did not celebrate Easter but we had family friends that were Christian. Every Easter morning we opened our front door and discovered three large Easter baskets full of candy that our friends so generously left for my two sisters and me. 

Esteemed Contributor

No, but can probably make up a good one.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GloriBee   I remember that severe Easter Sunday morning snowstorm.  I just  looked it up--it was March 29,  1970.  Snarled at least CT, NY, NJ travel.  I had turned 16 early that month.

Went into 11:00 am Mass with my brand new outfit of a navy blue spring coat with white piping and my FIRST pair of red pumps with probably a two inch real high heel (which was a big deal to me) and came out to whirling, rapidly accumulating snowflakes. 

It was a pretty severe storm.  A dear friend--like a second Mom to me--insisted she had to take the train back to New Jersey that afternoon so she could get to work in midtown Manhattan Monday morning; she was on the train to NYC  and then to NJ triple the normal amount of time for her trip. 

She phoned my Mom to tell her she got home safely very late and would still try to commute to her job in the am but she did wish she had stayed put in CT instead.

I wore that coat and shoes for at least seven years--last  year of high school, all through college, and the first year or two of marriage in the mid to late seventies.

It is so hard to find clothing that is that well made any more.  Love all these "back when" stories we share here in the forums.

aroc3435

Washington, DC