Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a wedding limit?

No I really don't have a "wedding limit" just like I don't have a birthday limit or new baby limit.  If someone is having a celebration party of some kind (in this case I'm assuming that there will be a reception after the wedding ceremony) I'll usually go and bring a gift. 

However from what you've said, there doesn't seem to be much of a relationship with you and your brother.  I think it's odd that you've never met your nieces, nephews and some wives.  In that case (not because of the number of marriages) I probably wouldn't go unless I wanted to reconnect with him.

I think it's kind of sad when families drift apart and lose touch for many years.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lovesrecess , I wouldn't go but I would send a small $ gift.  If only to keep the family peace.  People find the smallest slight to take offence to.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess

I would send a pretty card with a written note wishing him and his new bride much happiness.

LM makes a good point. A small check would be nice. 

Esteemed Contributor

I  would send a nice card.....

By the way 3 is my limit......

I got a friend mad at me because I wouldn't attend her daughters THIRD wedding reception. Her daughter was only in her 30's. The relationship was already rocky and they were fighting all the time.

By the way it is 10 years later and that marriage only lasted 3.

Honored Contributor

You don't have to agree with his choices.  But he is family.  That alone should decide whether or not you go.

Contributor

Kind of a similar situation.  One of my co-workers I worked with at the time was getting married for the third time.   She had  never had a bridal shower (I never had one as I did not want one).  So her cousin (who also worked at the same company) organized one and invited all the ladies (which was only 7 of us.  Rest of the workers were men), plus other people. 

Fast forward the Monday after the Bridal Shower her cousin came into my office and asked me and my coworker (also invited) why we did show up (only 5 people showed up out of about 20 invited).  My co-worker was very blunt and said she did not go to the shower because it is her third wedding (since got divorced from the man).  I agreed with her.  Her cousin stated, "Well, she never had one before!"  My co-worker said it was not her fault she never had one before and stated again why she did not go.

I would personally just sent a card and maybe a small gift (like a Visa gift card for $50) and leave it at that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would go! Eat, drink and be merry. One night you don't have to cook. Drop a card in the card box and enjoy. 

Respected Contributor

You referred to him as your "dear baby brother".....so if you feel that way about him, why not go if you want to?  You and your sister can sit with each other and have fun.

Again, because of the way you referred to him, it seems you are close.  (Though it's confusing, as he has ex-wives and children you've never met).  

If it were my brother I would NOT go to Wedding #5, but would send a nice card with a gift card.  I liked the previous suggestion of a restaurant gift card (though I might not go $50......since this isn't a first, second, third, or fourth wedding I would probably go $25!).

Respected Contributor

He's your "dear baby brother". Send a gift.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

@lovesrecess It is up to you. I would probably go so I could meet the new SIL to be and so that I could also see my brother and sister. He lives in Canada so you probably won't see him again for a long time.