Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have a surprising memory from one or both of your grandfathers?

My maternal grandfather passed away when my Mom was young- but my paternal grandfather was the light of my life!!! He passed when I was only 9 years old and t I have such vibrant positive memories of him. A gem!

Esteemed Contributor

@June222 wrote:

No memories at all. I never met any relatives from either side of my family.  Not a cousin...not an aunt. Family was not important to my parents...and grudges caused distance.  

@June222

June,

My heart aches for you that grudges made it impossible for you to know your relatives.  My God that's horrible.  I'm really sorry this had to happen to your family.

~Rebecca

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Unfortunately, I never had a grandfather.  They both died long before I was born.

@LilacTree

Ford,

I'm ever so sorry that life left you without Grandfathers, as they can be a wonderful part of life.

Hoping that you and your daughter are getting along well.  How are things going?

Trusted Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@June222 wrote:

No memories at all. I never met any relatives from either side of my family.  Not a cousin...not an aunt. Family was not important to my parents...and grudges caused distance.  

@June222

June,

My heart aches for you that grudges made it impossible for you to know your relatives.  My God that's horrible.  I'm really sorry this had to happen to your family.

~Rebecca

@sfnative  I guess you do not miss what you never have known....thus distance carried into my life. My family lost touch as we grew up...no relationship with my sisters now for the past 20 years....nor my parents who both died and I had not spoke to them either for 20 years.  My parents taught us well.....  

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rebecca,

I unfortunately had neither. My maternal grandfather died when I was 4 years old and I really remember little about him. My maternal grandmother pretty much disowned my mother when she married my drunken father. While she did come around eventually, she really was not as close to my mother as she was to my mothers many other siblings.

Did spend time with my grandmother, but she was the "don't sit here/don't touch this, don't touch that" type of person. She had a lot of money and a lot of high valued things in her home and apartment. Myself being from Public Housing only saw things like she owned in the movies.

My memories of my only grandmother were mostly what I mentioned above. I do however remember spending many different days and hours at the hospital with my mother when my grandmother was dying. That and her funeral about foremost in my memory of the grandparent's in my life.

My father I barely knew as he left when I was 3 or so years old. Thus I never met anyone on my paternal side as far as

grandparents.

JOhn

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

Unfortunately, I never had a grandfather.  They both died long before I was born.

@LilacTree

Ford,

I'm ever so sorry that life left you without Grandfathers, as they can be a wonderful part of life.

Hoping that you and your daughter are getting along well.  How are things going?

Hi Sfnative!  We've been here a little over six months now, and although there are things we have both had to get used to, it is going well.  My daughter's chronic lyme seems stable (she's on two different antibiotics) and although that helps her physically, the emotional component is much harder to control.  She is still severely depressed and, at times, hard to "reach."  Few people realize how very serious this illness is.  Complete remission is very rare.

To make matters worse for her, her lyme doctor recently had surgery and his staff cannot tell her when she can see him again, although he is out of the hospital now.  She is very worried about that and so am I.  Doctors who acknowledge and treat chronic lyme disease are very rare.

She has some very good friends who can do for her the things I cannot do, e.g., she is in Cape Cod right now and able to see all the fall foliage on the trip up and back.  I expect her home tomorrow.  These small things help tremendously and take her out of her depression for a short while.

We had our family reunion this past Saturday and that went beautifully.  I wrote about it in Among Friends.  That was a high point, as we had not gotten together for quite some time.

It's a very quiet neighborhood and the apartment is perfect for us.  So for now, it's as good as it can get.  Thank you so much for asking!  I hope things are going well for you too! 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You asked.  One I remember seeing in his casket when I was 7.  Before that I must have been 3 when I saw him last.  The other I remember one time because he was rarely home. He was hung over.  He didn't want grandchildren. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@June222 wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@June222 wrote:

@June222

June,

~Rebecca

@sfnative  I guess you do not miss what you never have known....thus distance carried into my life. My family lost touch as we grew up...no relationship with my sisters now for the past 20 years....nor my parents who both died and I had not spoke to them either for 20 years.  My parents taught us well.....  

@June222

It's difficult to know what to say, because one is truly talking into a life that had such an amount of emptiness imposed upon it.

However!  I see you're a Seahawks fan and hope you find joy, fun and a sense of family, if you will, enjoying them as a true fan.

~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@June222 wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@June222 wrote:

@June222

June,

~Rebecca

OMG, sfnative, I just finished responding to your post to me and then read this.  I am so very sorry that you have had to bear such unhappiness.  I am happy to hear that you did have grandfathers in your life whom you loved and who loved you. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Regular Contributor

I never experienced time with grandparents as none were living when I was born. I'm enjoying reading about the memories everyone is posting knowing just how much your grandparents made a difference in you life. Thanks so much!