Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have a romantic history?

I had my first serious boyfriend when I was 22 and working for the military overseas.  I stayed overseas until I was 38 and dated a lot but never married.  I think it was because I was living in a bubble (many eligible men and very few women--who knows what they are like on their home "turf").  I met my husband at a meeting of military sports directors (he knew he'd marry me at once, took me about a month to come to same conclusion).  Over the course of 18 years I had several serious beans (some of whom are still friends even though we are all married).  We just celebrated our 32nd anniversary (2 sons,two grandsons).

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I had my first serious boyfriend when I was 22 and working for the military overseas.  I stayed overseas until I was 38 and dated a lot but never married.  I think it was because I was living in a bubble (many eligible men and very few women--who knows what they are like on their home "turf").  I met my husband at a meeting of military sports directors (he knew he'd marry me at once, took me about a month to come to same conclusion).  Over the course of 18 years I had several serious beans (some of whom are still friends even though we are all married).  We just celebrated our 32nd anniversary (2 sons,two grandsons).

@patbz, what are "beans"? I've never heard that usage before.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

Could she have meant "beaus"?

Esteemed Contributor

Ah, @deepwaterdotter, beaus! Now, that makes sense! I didn't see it!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

I did mean "beaus"(darn autocorrect).

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs Thank you for the kind words.  My late husband used to tell me I should write stories, but I'm way too lazy and disorganized.

You know, I always find it interesting when people say they don't want to give some of themselves because they are afraid of what might happen.

Yet, these are the same people who come on and read about other people.  You can put a few words down and it could tell a lot about a person.  

A deceitful person who looks to do no good, will find a way to do it.

There are several people here who email each other (WOW!  They actually have each other's email address....OHHHH!).  I'm one of those people.  I know from reading here there are others. I've made some wonderful friends by sharing myself and my family with some of these same people.

I agree one has to be careful about posting things, however, once you get old(er) you learn that a lot of your business is already out there for people to see and find out about, if they wanted to.  I can go on websites now and for $9.99 find out pretty much whatever I wanted to about someone, unfortunately.

I have friends who are scared to death of facebook, the have unlisted numbers, they don't use the internet and so on and so on.  It's wise to limit certain information.  However, the first thing I have to give out to Drs, hospitals (by the time you are 70 you've hit the hospital a few times), social security, honey, you name it!  

I posted that because I was in the mood to think back these memories. There are protections one can do to protect themselves, that's taken care of.

I love reading everyone's post.  The one's that are 2 words, the one's that are 1/2 a page.  I wish (as I said earlier) I had the gift like some of you have, to be able to say something that makes sense in just a few words, I don't.  I know I often blather on and on (and most of you are so kind to not be rude to me about it).

Sometimes I read posts on here and you can just tell by the words (usually a few words, often with hidden digs) and you realize these people are unhappy in their life.  

When I post what I did here, I sure don't do it to say, "I had a wonderful life".  My life was and is good.  But nothing is perfect and good all of the time.  That wasn't the question, was it?

This would be a place no one would want to go to if everyone posted things that were down and filled with sorrow.

We are lucky (yes, lucky) when people come on here and do post sorrowful things because it gives some of us a chance to let them know that even though we don't know them, we understand their sorrow and hopefully, by them knowing we care and we've 'been there' it helps both of us.  (Some long sentence, see what I mean about blathering)?

Honored Contributor

I dated the same boy all the way through junior high and high school.We broke up the year after HS. I was always grateful to have had a steady guy all through HS because HS is much more fun when you have a steady fella. Anyway I dated a little - met a great guy who was 10 years older than me - married him after nursing school and sadly, he died 9 years later. Dated a little again but ultimately reconnected with my HS boyfriend and we have been married 33 years. I love my husband , make no mistake about that, he is a fine person who I love and respect. However, my first husband was THE ONE - the love of my life. The guy I would have gone to the moon for if he asked. And I think there is only one love like that per lifetime.

Honored Contributor

@151949 I agree with what you said.  I think many of us have a 'the one who got away' so to speak story.

It is funny about that old boyfriend in high school I had, he actually married a girl with the same first name as me, coincidence.

My life would not be anywhere near as wonderful as it was had I married the high school guy.  I know that.

However, a few years after my husband died, my daughter looked up this old high school boyfriend.  I've never been tempted to look him up because I prefer to remember "us" the way we were back then.  

I feel like those sweet memories would be shattered because, had I married him, based on what I've heard.

I've heard of stories like your's.  However, they are few and far between.  That's what makes your love story (all of it) so much more wonderful.

Thanks again for sharing your wonderful story!

Honored Contributor

Well, yes, I do have a romantic history.  But I shall keep that between me and them.

And I'm a one-man-at-a-time woman.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wanted to tell the story of meeting my first husband - he was a friend of my brother's. I needed my car fixed and I had painfully little money as I was in nursing school. My brother asked his buddy if he would fix the car cheap and he agreed. When I met him - OMG ! he was the best looking human being I had ever met.And he was English with a cockney accent. He told me if I would go out with him he would fix my car for free - well he lost out on that deal because the car needed a valve job. Anyway the evening of that first date he brought along his children who he had full  custody of because he didn't want me to date him without knowing what I could be letting myself in for. I fell in love right then and there. We dated for about a year until I finished school then got married. He got a job working for British Leyland  and it involved us travelling all around the world , staying about 6 months in each place. We lived in London and Paris and Riyad in Saudi Arabia and St Thomas in the carribean and Montreal and Marseille - the most beautiful place of all - in the South of France and many other places. When the kids were ready to start high school we came home to stay so they could have a normal high school experience.