Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have a relative that leaves you scratching....

@MaryLamb wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I don’t really make a habit of gossiping about people. Who is to say what is odd?

@GenXmuse  It’s a goood point to bring up here. The point is that I don’t believe anyone who starts threads like these intends to do any harm. These forums are anonymous, so threads like this are just fun ways to discuss the human condition without anyone getting hurt. Those who say “mind your own business” or jump on the OP just don’t get it and are looking to be critical. It’s just meant to be innocent conversation and exchanges illuminating common human experiences.

I don't think the OP intended any harm either.

But those of us who are saying she should mind her own business do have something valid to say.  What we're saying is that everyone is different, everyone has their own priorities, and it's unkind to judge the lives and decisions of others.  There's no need to pick at every little thing people do.  Her cousin is making her own choices, and the OP is overly critical because it's not the choices she would make.  There's nothing really odd or even slightly humorous about her situation. (If there was, the replies here would have been completely different, and this thread would have been filled with people sharing funny stories.)

Far better to live and let live.  I don't see anything wrong with reminding people of that. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

No, to be honest, I am blessed to come from a family that does not pay attention to or intrude in such things. It’s her business. Totally. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Trinity11  She doesn't see me perplexed.  My sister told me about it after spending the afternoon with her.

Last time I saw her was 4th of July at my sister's.  She spent the day critizing everyone, even 2 toddlers.

It's clear you don't like her.  You're critical of everything she does. 

You and your sister seem to be in the habit of sharing personal information and gossiping about her.  I don't see you having much of a high road here.  Can't you just let your cousin live her life without the two of you putting her every move under a microscope?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well yes I do.  There is one. But not for the way he spends his own money; but for certain (despicable) things that he did to his parents and siblings. I am not providing details as I don't know who might be reading here. 

My other relatives are really good people. There is minor, quirky stuff (including me), which is typical in many families. 

It sounds as if OP's cousin was under her father's thumb her whole life and wants to make some decisions on her own.  I wish her the best. 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sure do & I know it goes both ways...I'm scratching my head about them & they're scratching their head about me.

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 said "She puts all her money in a checking account, no savings account, or investment account.  She showed my sister a 6 figure check going into her checking account. God knows how much she has in there. My sister explained FDIC but didn't want to get into her finances."

If the  bank where her checking account is located is a member of FDIC, then her checking account is insured. Coverage for each account is only $25,000, but checking accounts are covered. 

Your sister explaining FDIC as if your cousin's checking account is not covered is improper. Investment accounts are not insured by FDIC. Checking account is a better choice, though it yields no or little interest.

I never express any opinion about how other people, especially (suspected) wacko relatives, use their money. If they ask, I might offer my view, but making me say Huh to myself is not a reason for me to make my opinion known. for many people making money decisions their guideline is not what does it cost, but what is it worth. Worth to them. No one else can answer that. 

FDIC insurance is $250,000, not $25,000:

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/deposits/faq.html

Investment/brokerage accounts of up to $500,000 (of which $250,000 can be cash) are insured by SIPC:

https://www.sipc.org/for-investors/what-sipc-protects

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

I don’t really make a habit of gossiping about people. Who is to say what is odd?

@GenXmuse  It’s a goood point to bring up here. The point is that I don’t believe anyone who starts threads like these intends to do any harm. These forums are anonymous, so threads like this are just fun ways to discuss the human condition without anyone getting hurt. Those who say “mind your own business” or jump on the OP just don’t get it and are looking to be critical. It’s just meant to be innocent conversation and exchanges illuminating common human experiences.

But those of us who are saying she should mind her own business do have something valid to say.  What we're saying is that everyone is different, everyone has their own priorities, and it's unkind to judge the lives and decisions of others.  There's no need to pick at every little thing people do.  Her cousin is making her own choices, and the OP is overly critical because it's not the choices she would make.  There's nothing really odd or even slightly humorous about her situation. (If there was, the replies here would have been completely different, and this thread would have been filled with people sharing funny stories.)

Far better to live and let live.  I don't see anything wrong with reminding people of that. 

@NYC Susan  I don’t have a comprehensive knowledge of the OP’s history of criticism toward others in her life, so I’m just going on the fact that many times when I see any contributor post an experience they’re having, they often encounter many “mind your own business” replies. Since everything is anonymous here, and contributors might just be looking for some opinions on how to deal with kin, I just think it’s unnecessary to attack them for opening up the door for opinions. I think people take these type of threads too seriously and actually enjoy jumping on the people who create them, simply because they look for reasons to be critical. Like I said, it’s anonymous, and we all have special situations we have to deal with loved ones, so I would expect a little more compassion and empathy for fellow contributors. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@NYC Susan  I don’t have a comprehensive knowledge of the OP’s history of criticism toward others in her life, so I’m just going on the fact that many times when I see any contributor post an experience they’re having, they often encounter many “mind your own business” replies. Since everything is anonymous here, and contributors might just be looking for some opinions on how to deal with kin, I just think it’s unnecessary to attack them for opening up the door for opinions. I think people take these type of threads too seriously and actually enjoy jumping on the people who create them, simply because they look for reasons to be critical. Like I said, it’s anonymous, and we all have special situations we have to deal with loved ones, so I would expect a little more compassion and empathy for fellow contributors. 

The OP is not looking for opinions re how to deal with a loved one.  That's obviously not why she started the thread.  Her interest is clearly not in helping her cousin.  She's hell-bent on criticizing her and gossiping about her.  That's a BIG difference.  And that's why so many posters are telling her to mind her own business.

I don't think anyone here "looked for reasons to be critical".  We simply stated our opinions.  If I agree with someone, I say so.  (And I do that often.)  But if I think they're out of line, I'll say that too.  

Sure, of course I have compassion and empathy for fellow posters.  And I have seen numerous, incredible posts from other posters who have reached out and gone above and beyond to empathize and support each other.  But these are forums, and if someone starts a thread, they are inviting replies.  So people will reply, and they'll reply with their honest thoughts.  Many posters have said that what the cousin does is not the OP's business, and she should stop being so judgmental.  Maybe she'll take that advice to heart.

(Btw, many of us have been supportive of the OP before, in other threads she's started.  I have no doubt that I'll probably agree with her on other issues going forward.  But I think she's wrong in this situation, and since these are forums, there's nothing wrong with stating opinions.  As I said above,  judging the lives and decisions of others, as the OP is doing, is unkind.  And I stand by that.)

Valued Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

The OP is not looking for opinions re how to deal with a loved one.  That's obviously not why she started the thread.  Her interest is clearly not in helping her cousin.  She's hell-bent on criticizing her and gossiping about her.  That's a BIG difference.  And that's why so many posters are telling her to mind her own business.

I don't think anyone here "looked for reasons to be critical".  We simply stated our opinions.  If I agree with someone, I say so.  (And I do that often.)  But if I think they're out of line, I'll say that too.  

Sure, of course I have compassion and empathy for fellow posters.  And I have seen numerous, incredible posts from other posters who have reached out and gone above and beyond to empathize and support each other.  But these are forums, and if someone starts a thread, they are inviting replies.  So people will reply, and they'll reply with their honest thoughts.  Many posters have said that what the cousin does is not the OP's business, and she should stop being so judgmental.  Maybe she'll take that advice to heart.

(Btw, many of us have been supportive of the OP before, in other threads she's started.  I have no doubt that I'll probably agree with her on other issues going forward.  But I think she's wrong in this situation, and since these are forums, there's nothing wrong with stating opinions.  As I said above,  judging the lives and decisions of others, as the OP is doing, is unkind.  And I stand by that.)

@NYC Susan  I’m just trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. You have a whole another agenda that is way out of my comfort zone and level of sanity. Enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

@NYC Susan  I’m just trying to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. You have a whole another agenda that is way out of my comfort zone and level of sanity. Enjoy.

I have no agenda at all.   I read and I respond - with my honest thoughts.  These are forums, and that's what's supposed to happen here.