Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a relative that leaves you scratching....

Oh, boy. I've got lots of them. I guess that might indicate that I'm the nutty one?

My brother and SIL had a 2 million dollar home built in East Hampton, NY.  They didn't include central air. They said they didn't need it. They're near the beach but not on the beach. It gets hot.  Last time I was there I saw two of those portable air conditioning units in the bedrooms.  I just don't get it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Porcelain  Yep.  Her Dad had a some pricey cars.  He also hated to spend money, except on his cars.

He chopped wood until he was in his 80's and made her help. He was 90 when he died. She just retired.  He had her climb on the roof and clean out gutters.  She took care of him afterher  Mom died. No idea what the plan was if she fell off the roof and got hurt.

Sounds like that's where she got it from, then. She's like her Dad, just with a different focus. Dad sounds like he must have been an interesting person too.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Maybe your cousin is related to a woman who used to live down the street.

Apparently she got quite an inheritance. So she had numerous full sized trees planted in her front yard. We aren't talking about flowering trees or fruit trees. They were like oak and maple trees.  Since the trees were 25 - 30 feet tall they could not have been cheap to buy, transport and plant.

It was a plot about 1/2 acre so we are not talking about lots of room in the front of her house.

She was well into her 70s.  It turned out that I worked with her daughter-in-law about 10 years later. When the Mother-in-law passed away, the house was sold and first thing the new owner did was take out about 8 of the trees.

Honored Contributor

Well, it's her money to do with as she wishes.   

She does sound as if she is penny wise and pound foolish though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain  Yeah, he was a treat.  Luckily he wasn't a blood relative, just by marriage. He ruled the roost.  Neither my aunt or cousin jumped without having to ask him "how high."

I had several wonderful aunts and uncles.  He was the one person I couldn't stand to be around.  When I got older and he started in on me, I just gave it back to him.  My husband or Dad never talked to me like that and that old man wasn't going to start.

Respected Contributor

It sounds like she is trying to fulfill her life with things she thinks she wants. She can afford to do it obviously and just thinks the next thing she does is going to bring her that fulfillment she is looking for. While in the meantime it appears she may not have a lot of common sense.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I think a cousin would qualify.....She has a good job and is well off...

She belittled us because we spend money on nail polish/lipstick (that money should be invested), while she spent LOTS of money on junk jewelry from Flea Marts and yet refused to have her eyeglass prescription updated and would use a magnifying glass in addition to her old glasses to be able to read anything....She would also buy lots of stuff from the clearance carts at the grocery store even if it was something she didn't really like...her thinking....she just couldnt pass up a good bargain....🤔

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

While we are speculating about this lady I'll add my 2 cents. It sounds to me like she has taken care of the money that she inherited and she is spending it on what she wants to make her home exactly as she wants it. What's wrong with having a beautiful yard? Her plans sound lovely to me. We should all be so fortunate. As long as she is not asking the OP for money why would the OP care what this cousin does with her money. As far as saving for her later years maybe she has that taken care of. 

Valued Contributor

I have a cousin who goes ghost hunting. She and her friends sleep in freezing cold, abandoned penitentiaries with tape recorders asking “is anyone here” all night long. When her father (my mother’s brother) died, my mother found an old life insurance policy her father had taken out naming her as the beneficiary. She gave it to my cousin when we arrived at the funeral home for the viewing, and my cousin immediately left the service to go into the bathroom at the funeral home to phone the insurance company to start the claim on the policy. She has a good job and a masters degree, so it’s not like she needed the money. 

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey   She talks to my sister a lot.  When my sister expressed surprise at just putting money in her checking account and suggesting a savings account or investing some of  it she had no idea of what to do.  From what I get, no, she has no plan for aging or possibly needing care.

There is nothing wrong with making your home nice but she is spending money like water on the outside of the house. However, evidently she should hire a housekeeper.  Her pets have no rules or boundaries.  If her cats are on her bed and she's tired she stays up, so she doesn't disturb them  She also doesn't vacuum much as there is animal hair everywhere. 

Again, if she wants a showplace outside and a mess inside it's her choice. I just don't get it.