Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a nice grandparents memory?

@Mz iMac wrote:

Just so-so. 

My GP, maternal & paternal lived in the south.  We lived "up north."  The only time we saw them was in the summer since my parents always shipped us kids down south for the summer.  We stayed w/cousins, not the GPs.

My maternal GPs as far as I can remember came up north once to visit.

My paternal GF died before I was born.  The rest of them died when I was a teenager around 12-13 yrs old.  My younger siblings do not remember them at all.

SIDEBAR:

I was in my 30's when I found out through my mother that my maternal GM was actually my "step" GM #3!!!!! faint.gif

My mother's mother died when she was 17 yrs old.  Her father married 3 more times & out lived the 1st 3 wives.  Grandpop was a playa! Smiley LOL

I had asked my mother why she & her siblings always called their mother Miss Helen.  That's when she said that woman is NOT their mother and then she told me the lowdown. Smiley Surprised  Nothing like family secrets.

I found out at the age of 12 my Papa was not really my Papa since my Dad's father died when Daddy was five years old.  I always wondered why Mam-Ma and Papa had a different last name then us and it was not until I was 12 that I asked.  I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach when my Mom told me.  It only made me love him more to be such a good caring man to his step-children and on down to their children.  Never had any of his very own.  My Daddy was 10 and Aunt Gaye 7 when he became and was always called their Daddy.  Now sweet Mam-Ma is buried between the one she lost in the 1930's and the one she lost in 1981.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Frequent Contributor

I was very close with my Mom's mother. We called her Nanny. She was my favorite relative. I can remember always spending spring break with her.We lived on Long Island, she lived in Queens. I remember one night her friend called and I heard her telling her friend that I was there for the week and she was so happy because of all the 7 grandchildren she had I was her favorite. Boy did I feel special. When I was in my 20's she gave me $1,200 cash to by a Mustang Mach 1 that I had my eye on. She never would let me pay her back. She passed away a year before I got married. I think of her everyday and miss her terribly.

Trusted Contributor

@beckyb1012  I loved your story.... it reminded me of my DH ... his mom married her first DH and had 5 small children... he went into town to get a haircut and when he put his hand on the knob of the door of the barber shop the knob was hit by lightening and was killed.... two years later she married someone who took on the 5 children and they had 6 more!  The whole family blended so well and they were so loved by the new father.... my DH was part of the second group and his father is so well spoken of.... his mom is buried between them both, just like your story.   Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

All four of my grandparents had passed away before I was born.  The memories of my parents with my children are very special.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@game-on wrote:

@beckyb1012  I loved your story.... it reminded me of my DH ... his mom married her first DH and had 5 small children... he went into town to get a haircut and when he put his hand on the knob of the door of the barber shop the knob was hit by lightening and was killed.... two years later she married someone who took on the 5 children and they had 6 more!  The whole family blended so well and they were so loved by the new father.... my DH was part of the second group and his father is so well spoken of.... his mom is buried between them both, just like your story.   Thanks for sharing.

It is amazing how the hand of God changes our lives.  My Mam-Ma and her first  husband were driving his Model T to go use their ration coupons for new tires but it was several towns over and of course would have taken all day.  On the way out of their home town Mam-Ma saw a friend of hers and told him to pull over she was going to stay and visit with all in town.  Robert B. was killed in the Model T in an accident almost back home that night.  By the grace of God my Daddy, Aunt, and Mam-Ma were not with him.  When she left her home with him that morning to take the trip for the tires she never went back.  Just stayed at her Mom & Dad's for the next five years till she remarried my Papa.  Thank you for your memory.Heart

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Yes, I have many.  I grew up with my grandparents, great-grandparents, and great aunt and uncles around.

Everybody was from Italy, so there was always plenty of lively conversation in a mixture of Italian and English.  Lots of good food.  Being the first grandchild, and great grandchild, I was probably spoiled a bit, too.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

My mother's mom died when my mom was nine.

My mother's dad djed when I was an infant.

My dad's dad had severe dementia, and was in a nursing home, and died when I was seven or eight.

My dad's mom lived in Florida. 

I didn't see her because of distance.

She died when I was about eleven or twelve.

Honored Contributor

@cherry@Plaid Pants2@Marienkaefer2@beckyb1012@VanSleepy

Making pralines and German Cholate Cake (she taught me!). Dear dear SAINT she was💜💚❤️💙

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

I loved my Dad's parents. I never saw my Mom's very often. When we lived near each other it was daily. After my Dad got transferred working for the goverment less often. I got to stay there in the summers. I still think they walk on water .We always spent the holiday togethers. MyGrandmother was my hero. She taught me to cook. I remember climbing up on a dining chair making noodles from scratch when I was five. We baked alot. My job was to kill the egg yolks which meant to break the yolks. I still think of them daily.

Any how because of my respect and love for them my career was spent working with older adults.

Respected Contributor

That would be my Grandpa. He was the best. Would come over and babysit for my brother and I so my parents could go out. He always stayed over night. I loved when he came over. He was fun, kind, and he smelled like his pipe. My younger brother would tease him and he would say he was't going to come over any more. I would cry and say please come and he would hug me. Of course he did come again. He was so cute!