Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a nice grandparents memory?

My Father's parents lived in SanDiego, CA. We lived in Seattle WA. Only time we saw the Grandparents was if we all got in the old Lincoln with no air conditioning(1960's) and drove the five of us 2500 miles down to SanDiego.  People just did not fly in those days.  So it was a huge deal to go see them.  I barely remember either of them. I was 12 when I last saw them and they were old and frail.  I remember getting birthday cards from Grandma with money inside...but, I really hardly knew her.

I never have met my Mother's side of the family. She was distant from her family all throughout my growing up. They were in New York City and she never talked about them.   So I never met a cousin or aunt or anything my entire life. To this day I know nothing about my Mother's side of the family. I have no one that I know on my Father's side of the family. 

Both of my parents have past on, my Father just last year at age 95. At at this time, I have no relationship with any family  I have left, that being my two sisters. I was estranged from both parents prior to their passing.  Stuff just happened which caused strife in the  family relationships throughout the last 20 some years.  

So my memories  are not "nice".  But they are what they are.

Respected Contributor

Yes, we were very close to my maternal grandparents. They lives in the house next door to us.  Growing up, we had the benefit of seeing them every day.  My grandpa made a pathway between our two houses connecting the backyards.  We would ride our bikes on that pathway and walk to their house.  The back door was always open for us.  

They were like our second parents.   I was lucky to have them into my adulthood.  They were very close to my children too.  It was a special relationship.  

We saw my paternal grandfather several times a week.  He moved to Florida when we were teens.   He died when I was in college.  My paternal grandmother died when I was a baby.  I have no memory of her. 

@cherry, I appreciate your threads.   You've made Viewpoints very pleasant to post on 

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls Oh I hear you! I never had any grandparents at all.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the sweetest little Norwegian Grandfather...he was the only one left as we grew and he lived across the street ...visited us everyday.....loved him so much...every morning when i started my first job he would stand by the window and wave goodbye to me......as i got older and realized how much he must have cared for me to be there every morning still gets me misty eyed....

Esteemed Contributor

I surely would love to have memories; however, three of my grandparents had died before I was even born and the last one lived on the east coast and we only saw him occasionally when dad took us on a trip in the summer. I envy those that have treasurerd memories.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Being the youngest of a large family, I only grew up knowing my maternal grandmother.  My other grandparents had already died.  My grandmother was so sweet and she kept the neatest home, always had Hershey's Kisses in a blue carnival glass candy dish for us, and took us to get ice cream whenever we visited.  She got sick when I was about 8, so I don't have alot of memories with her, and I miss that.

Trusted Contributor

My mother's parents lived about 200 miles away so we wouldn't see them more than once a year when I was growing up.  My paternal grandmother lived in our area all her life and was a big part of my, my brother and sister's childhood.  She took us to Disney World the year it opened.  She was of Czech descent and would recite a funny song to us in that language when we were young.  She was an excellent cook and many Sundays were spent indulging in her delicious food.  She was a single mother at age 24 and raised 3 sons (one of them my dad).  She left me several of her recipes that I cherish...everytime I make her stuffed cabbage or kolachki, I am transported back to her kitchen!   She was generous and would always take us out to eat when we'd stay overnight at her house (except for breakfast, we would always awaken to the smell of bacon cooking and the Polka station blaring on the radio!)   She made us beautiful birthday cakes throughout our childhoods and eventually even made many of my children's cakes.  She was a tough firecracker of a lady and was quite opinionated and would say exactly what she thought.  She also swore like a sailor!   I had both grandmothers in my life until I was in my low to mid 40's so I consider myself very very lucky.  Now I'm anxiously awaiting becoming a grandma so I can make the same types of happy memories with my grandchildren!

Frequent Contributor

@nycgrl  When I read your post it was like reading my own memory, we also lived with my nana she helped raise me also. She was the best miss her everyday.  We lived in a New York in a three bedroom 1bathroom place. Great memories 

Respected Contributor

@pattypeep. I am so sorry for you! I understand a bit about your situation, tho. First, my family ALL lived 800 miles away from my mom, dad, and me. We went every summer, but, oh, how I yearned to be a part of their lives and I was certain they felt the same about me! My devastation when I found out how wrong I'd been nearly killed me! Literally! I do have many memories, ones that I love. My problem is that now I know what I know, I can't help but wonder if those memories are real or if I embellished them due to my desire to be a part of them!

My poor children were more like you! My father died when my dd was 2, 6 years before my ds was born! My fil passed just two years later! So, my dd has few memories and my ds never knew the joy of having a grandfather! Because I felt the way I did about my childhood, I wanted my children to have as much of what I didn't have as possible. So, we took the two grandmothers with us everywhere, and I do mean everywhere we went. The mothers weren't exactly friends but my mother knew how important it was for my kids to have them both with us, at least the times my mil would go! Unfortunately, my son was young when we lost both grandmas! My mil passed when he was 8 and my ds was only 9 when my mother died. They passed 11 months apart! I have done my best to keep them alive for him through stories and pictures, but, as I'm sure you know, that isn't always enough for children! 

Memories created with with grandparents are among the most precious we will ever have! Those who have them should keep them close forever and pass them on to each generation so they will always live on!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

I had the sweetest little Norwegian Grandfather...he was the only one left as we grew and he lived across the street ...visited us everyday.....loved him so much...every morning when i started my first job he would stand by the window and wave goodbye to me......as i got older and realized how much he must have cared for me to be there every morning still gets me misty eyed....

As a grandparent I can tell you for sure that those days meant as much, or more to him! I'm so happy you have those memories and such love for him! You are truly blessed!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.