Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a nice grandparents memory?

My grandparents were butchers and we had a 48# turkey for Thanksgiving, my grandfather told his poultry provider he wanted the largest turkey they had.

It really took a long time for my grandma to cook that, and it was like yesterday that we were all sitting at her table having dinner, I even remember where I sat.

.....and grandpa dressing up as Santa Claus, that was awesome.

So fortunate to be raised with wonderful grandparents and parents....just isn't the way it is these days.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish I did have a good memory.  I only had one grandparent and she was very grouchy.

Respected Contributor

On that safety sucker, I wouldn't refer to it as a "cord", it was actually paper twisted tightly that formed a thick string and was pliable so it could bend. 

just my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

Too many to list.  My grandparents on my mother's side helped to raise me.  We all lived in this small apartment with 1 bathroom till I was in my teens.  I miss them every single day.  They were my "parents" since I didn't have a father.  My mother always said they let me get away with so much more than when she was a kid.  I could do little wrong in their eyes. 

In my mind I still see them everyday and I know they are watching over me Heart

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

On that safety sucker, I wouldn't refer to it as a "cord", it was actually paper twisted tightly that formed a thick string and was pliable so it could bend. 

just my opinion.

I always thought of it like a tightly wound string. I suppose it could have been paper, but it was strong

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We were raised with all four grandparents around.  We visited with the paternal grandparents every day for an hour.  When my father got home from work, he would take us to their house and drop us off.  On Sundays and holidays, we would all go to church together.  We always got cash as gifts from that side of the family.

We did more things with the maternal grandparents.  We went to their house for breakfast every Sunday before my father took us to church.  We went there for dinner every holiday.  We would go there a couple times a week for several hours.  On summer vacations we would pick them up and go on a picnic for the day.  My grandmother was an African violet lover, so we'd pick her up and go to flower shows.  We did a lot if things with those grandparents.  Our gifts were always personalized.

Honored Contributor

I was fortunate, I grew up in a multigenerational extended family.  We lived in triple decker and my grandparents and my Nana's sister and my uncle lived on the top floor.  My Nana's two single sisters who were nurses lived on the second floor and my family lived on the first floor.  So, the whole house was family and we all went from house to house, depending on what we needed or wanted.  "It takes a village" applied to my family long before someone else said it.   I was the oldest of 5 kids and I was always studious and quiet and an avid reader.  So, I spent most of my time upstairs with my grandparents.  I only went downstairs to sleep and sometimes, not even then.   My grandfather taught me how to read when I was 3, by age 7 I was reading "real" books and discussing them with him.  I also listened to classical music with him.  He had worked in the rare book archives in our State House before he retired and he loved history and I loved his stories.  My grandmother was tiny little French Canadian lady who was very "proper" and jewelry collector.  I could spend hours on their bed "playing" with her jewelry and the beautiful buttons that she kept in her big button box.  She would tell me stories about where she or her mother wore the jewelry.  I had very very long thick hair and I loved it when she combed it and braided it.  My great aunt, my Nana's sister was the complete opposite.  Her room was down the end of the hall and she always had candy and she played popular music and she'd dance for us.  She was a little "wild" for her time.  She was....horrors....divorced...lol   And in her younger days, she'd danced in clubs.  We were not supposed to tell people outside of the family THAT...lol    We all spent the month of July on Martha's Vineyard .... looking back, I had an amazing childhood.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

just my opinion.

@Just Bling, picky picky picky..  thank you for correcting me.   Fiber, cord, paper.. to my eyes as a child it looked like twisted cord.. so I am sorry I described it incorrectly.. geez.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Frequent Contributor

Both sets of grandparents lived in Brooklyn.  My maternal grandparents both smoked cigarettes and drank beer, and I remember my 7 year old self and my 5 year old sister walking 6 blocks to the local deli, with a note in hand from my grandfather, to pick up cigarettes and a 6-pack for them! 

Trusted Contributor

I never met any of my grandparents. My father's mother died before I was born, my mom's parents died before my parents could bring them to the U.S. ( mom's family lived in Hungary, dad's in Czechoslovakia)