Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a nice grandparents memory?

[ Edited ]

I am lucky to have had all 4 grandparents alive until I was into my 20s.  My grandparents lived close by so they were over just about every weekend and every holiday until I moved away from home at 18.  My grandfathers knew each other through business and that is how my parents eventually met.  I think the fact that my grandparents knew and knew of each other first, it made it easier to spend so much time together.

My maternal grandfather taught me how to parallel park (and play and cheat at poker).  My grandmothers and mother taught me how to cook and bake.  My paternal grandfather was the movie camera operator and he was incredibly proud of the wallpaper mural in his home.  It got much more screen time than any of the grandchildren when he was in charge of filming.  LOL  He also hated the lighting of the chandelier in the dining room so he replaced one of the bulbs (the one nearest to his chair) with a 100 watt light bulb.  We have film of that, too ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I was lucky and old enough to remember all of my grandparents.  I have many cherished memories of them.  

@cherry  I have to ask what is a safety pop sucker?

They didn't have a hard stick, They had a cord for a handle, so you couldn't get hurt if you fell with one in your mouth,they still sell them

@Suziepeach  Thanks!  So there is no stick to suck on?  What happens when you get down to the last little bit?  I missed out on this as a kid!  My lollipops looked nothing like this.  

@Laura14, I would make sure no flavor was left in the ends of the cord and toss it away.  You could sling them on your fingers, the cord would collapse if it got too wet..  loved me some cherry or grape suckers too!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@game-on wrote:

I remember staying with my grandmother and when she was putting on her makeup in the morning she would recite poetry and teach it to me.  Her favorites were "In Flanders fields" and "Trees".  She also had friends that loved to play cards.  They taught me how to play and we would sit for a couple of hours in the afternoons a couple of times a week and laugh and play canasta and a couple of other games.  My grandmother listened to me and loved to take me to church and to the supermarket.  She was my favorite person. 

@game-on  One of my grandmothers was a card fiend too.  We still walk around our chairs to reverse bad luck when we are losing in honor of her.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I was lucky and old enough to remember all of my grandparents.  I have many cherished memories of them.  

@cherry  I have to ask what is a safety pop sucker?

They didn't have a hard stick, They had a cord for a handle, so you couldn't get hurt if you fell with one in your mouth,they still sell them

@Suziepeach  Thanks!  So there is no stick to suck on?  What happens when you get down to the last little bit?  I missed out on this as a kid!  My lollipops looked nothing like this.  

@Laura14, I would make sure no flavor was left in the ends of the cord and toss it away.  You could sling them on your fingers, the cord would collapse if it got too wet..  loved me some cherry or grape suckers too!

@Suziepeach  Cool!  The closet I ever got to that was the candy jewelry when I could convince our mom to buy it.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Laura14, we always had pennies for candy but mom would splurge and buy us dime stuff from time to time. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

My grandma read to me, played cards with me and taught me how to make pie crust. Her pies were wonderful.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My Dad's Mother played piano by ear. Her Father was a minister, and she played during his church services

She had a piano in her home. SHe used to get me to sing ,while she played.She loved the Rose of Tralee and La Vien Rose

Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@Laura14, we always had pennies for candy but mom would splurge and buy us dime stuff from time to time. 

@Suziepeach  Even if we had money, candy jewelry was usually a no no.  My mother hated it because it got all over everything and made it sticky.  

Honored Contributor

Mine is not a bad or sad story, it's just the way things were.  My grandparents were from Lituhuania and never spoke English when we visited them, so the visits were rather tedious.  My grandmother was paralyzed on one side of her body from as far back as I knew, yet it never stopped her.  I loved to watch her iron.  She really had mastered a one-handed technique that always fascinated me.  My grandfather, however, was somewhat of a tyrant.  The most pleasant memory I have when visiting them was their three daughters.  They were somewhat older than I was back then, in fact I was a Junior Bridesmaid in one of their weddings.  What I loved was when they gathered around the piano and sang Lithuanian songs.  (They also sang on the radio back then.)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

@Suziepeach  Even if we had money, candy jewelry was usually a no no.  My mother hated it because it got all over everything and made it sticky.  

@Laura14, I heard that!!  My Grandma would spoil us and my mom would get so aggravated at her but didn't matter, she was Grandma.. 

Go VOLS