Honored Contributor

Do you have a nice grandparents memory?

I was closer to my Dad's parents. But I remembered today a nice memory. My Mom's parents were farmers, not well to do, but not poor either.

My Grandpa always gave all his grandkids a new $5 bill for christmas. Back in the 50's this was very generous, as he had quite a few grands

My Grandma had a  Jewel Tea truck that stopped by her house with lots of food items. She always bought safety pop suckers for her grands. She also had a glass, break front cabinet, in her living room. Inside she had after dinner mints. She bought them for Ming Toy, her little, lazy, Peke, whom she called Mingie. He was fluffy ,gentle ,and quite lazy, until Grandma would say do you want a mint, Mingie? He came to life like greased lightening .when mints were offered, he also snored quite loudly.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a nice grandparents memory?

I was lucky and old enough to remember all of my grandparents.  I have many cherished memories of them.  

@cherry  I have to ask what is a safety pop sucker?

Trusted Contributor

I remember staying with my grandmother and when she was putting on her makeup in the morning she would recite poetry and teach it to me.  Her favorites were "In Flanders fields" and "Trees".  She also had friends that loved to play cards.  They taught me how to play and we would sit for a couple of hours in the afternoons a couple of times a week and laugh and play canasta and a couple of other games.  My grandmother listened to me and loved to take me to church and to the supermarket.  She was my favorite person. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

I was lucky and old enough to remember all of my grandparents.  I have many cherished memories of them.  

They didn't have a hard stick, They had a cord for a handle, so you couldn't get hurt if you fell with one in your mouth,they still sell them

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately I never met my paternal Grandparents but were close to my maternal Grandparents.  They lived in Lewisburg, PA and us in Tennessee so twice a year we'd go on a two week vacation up there.  So many vivid memories..  My Grandma worked at Bucknell and I can see her coming home just as plain as anything.  Her deep dish apple pies & the huge sugar cookies she always had for us.. cousins galore always around, as she was the Mom to seven children, my mom was the oldest as I am the oldest grandchild.  And at Christmas, dang all the snow and it so cold it was "blue".. I'd lie in bed looking out the window for Santa..    and to this very day I still have my bride's doll they gave me, in the orginal paper & box plus a Viewmaster with all the bells & whistles.  I loved them so very much & miss them all.  I hope they're looking down and are proud of me..  Heart

This is a very nice thread!!!  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

They didn't have a hard stick, They had a cord for a handle, so you couldn't get hurt if you fell with one in your mouth,they still sell them

A cord for a handle?  Well how about that?  I learned a new thing today.  Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

My grandfather used to 'show us off' to his friends - I remember walking hand-in hand on the boardwalk in Coney Island with him!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

A cord for a handle?  Well how about that?  I learned a new thing today.  Smiley Happy 

Google them and you can see what they look like

Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Suziepeach  Thanks!  So there is no stick to suck on?  What happens when you get down to the last little bit?  I missed out on this as a kid!  My lollipops looked nothing like this.