Honored Contributor

Do you have a nice Christmas or Hanukkah memory to share?

I have a little one to start it off. My Grandmother  had as Eastlake table ,in her parlor.

She always had English walnuts ,in the shell, on that table , at Christmas. I never saw any other type of nut ,but those. She had a mallet to crack them with. I don't know if they were a favorite, or something. My Grandparents both wore dentures, but much of the time they didn't keep them in. So , I kind of doubt they  ate them

I now have the table( refinished) in the family room at my home. It's something I always remember  during the holidays

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a nice Christmas or Hanukkah memory to share?

Love that memory, cherry.  What a cherished table that must be.

My mother adored Christmas and everything about it.  She had some little figural angel candles, four of them, that, when lined up, spelled out "NOEL".   When she wasn't looking, it was my great delight to scramble the angels so that they would spell "LEON".

Sometimes, she wouldn't notice for quite awhile, but when she did, her surprised conternation used to crack me up every time.

Respected Contributor

When my brother and I were very little, our parents did the old-fashioned Christmas tradition, putting us to bed and THEN putting up the huge fresh tree, decorating it, bringing in presents, putting my brother's train around the tree, etc. We believed that .Santa even brought the tree! On the first such Christmas that I recall, my brother and I grabbed hands and went down the stairs. As we walked down the corridor to the family room, I remember shaking all over in anticipation. That's how little I was. I didn't know what to expect. Mother threw open the French doors leading to that room, and the huge, brightly lit, tinsel-covered tree ate up a lot of the room, and there were presents everywhere, the scent of fresh pine from the tree, and carols playing, I have since learned that our parents had been  up all night to do that for us, which they did until i, the younger child, stopped believing in Santa. Such a sweet memory of anticipation, joy, and our parents' love.

Honored Contributor

Daddy and I took a bus to WV one year for Christmas.  Normally, he drove us there, but this time we went by bus.  There was a young mother on there that was having a hard time with her newborn.  She hadn't had any sleep.  I went and set beside her and held the baby.  She was able to rest and and the sweetheart got sick all over me.  LOL  Dad cleaned it off as best he could.  Baby boy slept like and angel after.

We spent part of the night at a bus station because the roads were so bad.  No food, no sleep ... just waiting.

Spent a wonderful week with my dads family when we finally made it there.  My Christmas gift ... airline tickets home.  My first plane ride and my last bus ride.  I fell asleep on the plane looking at the beautiful clouds. Smiley Happy 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

My first child, a girl, was born at 4:44 A.M. on Christmas morning. A nice memory for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first Christmas after my father died was extremely tough for my family. I lived in NY at the time with my daughter , my brother and family were in New Mexico and my sister and her family lived in NC. My mother, daughter and I flew down to NC and so did my brother to have the whole family together.

When I say my father LOVED Honey Baked Ham, I am not exaggerating. He was fanatical about it. He also absolutely loved music. All kinds, different genres, he loved it all but his absolute favorite song was "Loving you is easy cause your beautiful" by Minnie Riperton.

My sister waited for us to come down before she got a Christmas tree so we could all get into spirit by decorating it together. Her husband went out and bought a real, beautiful tree. One Christmas Eve in the afternoon we all started to decorate it. We turned on the radio and were started to have a nice time all chatting. My daughter was a baby and she was in such a good mood. SHe was just laughing her head off for no reason, it was so over the top that we started laughing uncontrollably. At that moment, Loving You by Minnie Riperton came on the radio. We just all stopped and started to tear up, each one of us. At that moment the doorbell rang and it was a delivery from the Honey Baked Ham store. One of my brother in laws cousins, who he hadn't heard from in years or talked to in years had sent him a Honey Baked Ham. At that point we were all in tears. It was like a sign from my father telling us he was there with us. While we were still sad, it really gave us comfort that Christmas. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I was a hard kid to fool, I always managed to find out what l was getting ahead of time. One year , I wanted a stereo, I was mad for West Side Story. My parents convinced me it wasn't in the budget that year, I was disappointed, but I knew that if they could they would. Christmas Eve , when we opened presents, my Uncle distracted me, and after a bit I heard the overture of West Side Story. They fooled me, and I cried I was so happy. No material possession before or since thrilled me like that stereo.I miss those wonderful people every day.❤️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan