Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have a funny grade school story?

[ Edited ]

I have one more story...When growing up my sister and I joined the Girl Scouts, and at one point I volunteered to be the star in a play that would be presented in a church auditorium one evening.  All the families were invited to come and watch the act and the place was packed.  The next day my best friend Mary Jane and I were walking to school, we were in the sixth grade, and when passing a house where a woman was sweeping the sidewalk she stopped us, looked at me and said she saw me in the play the night before and congratulated me on a job well done.  That was the start of my acting career.

Going forward...In Jr. High School I joined the drama club and had the leading role in several plays.  AHA, there was one that stands out.  The leading role called for one boy and one girl, John was the boy and I was the girl.  Now John had this condition that caused him to stop dead in his tracks at any given time and just stare into  space without saying a word, and would come back as though nothing happened.   I think you are getting the idea of what is coming.

I was concerned that it might happen during the play and brought it to the teacher's attention.  She didn't think there would be a problem so we continued to rehearse and finally the day of the big act came.  You guessed it, John had one of those moments.  Now I did prepare myself just in case and practiced what I would say until he snapped out of it.  I know I jabbered  something but to this day I haven't got a clue as what I said but we got a standing ovation.  That was the end of my acting career, High School was way too scary, so I gave it up.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

When I was 8 my mom got her hands on a free but expired home permanent. Why she used it on me is a mystery as my hair was thick and wavy. But that wasn’t hair she could style apparently. Anyway...the rancid smell alone should have made her stop. I looked a fright for months; it took out all my wave instead of adding curls and fried my hair. I was shy and also self conscious about my height, so now I was the tallest girl in class and had fried bushy hair. To make it more perfect we moved three times that school year, so I got to be teased in three different schools. Fun times. 

Honored Contributor

The only one I know of, is when a 2nd or 3rd grade teacher had written a cute note to my folks, telling them that the mole I have on a cheek, was a beauty mark.  (I guess someone must have told me that.)  I don't remember all the events of conversaion around that.

Regular Contributor

I agree that elementary school was a nightmare.  Nuns were then evil and mean. I was bright and active child and nuns hated that in children.  My most laughable experience of their meanness was on Friday, when the cooking nun brought a treat to the class, my nun screamed that I did not get a piece because I was evil.  No, she was the evil one.  I was even skipped out of second grade because I was a left handed child with brains and energy.  So sad.  The nun even told my dad that I did not have the "right" to make my first communion.  My parents were also divorced when I was three, so I had a scarlet letter on my forhead as far as the nuns were concerned, whispering to each other in the halls and not giving me my invitation to the mother-daughter spring luncheons.  I had aunts who would have taken me.  And the hyperactivity was actually created by one of those "saintly" women who told my dad in front of me that I was too hyper.  I asked him what that meant, and I became what I thought the nun wanted me to be.  I was bright and always quickly finished my work.  My dad asked if I could run office errands or just get up to look out the window, the goofy nuns told him I could read a book in my seat.  To this day, at the  age of 62, I cannot read a book unless it is very, very captivating or of a topic I have deep interest.  Sad. 

And with my dad as the main VP of one of the big three in St. Louis, I had to deal with kids picking on me when the union did not get what they wanted in a bargaining war.  And lets not get into that I had a black housekeeper who was as dear to me as a mother.  Kids.

Nuns made me hate school early, an obese English teacher at my boarding highschool  that the other girls made fun of took me under her wing and told me that I was a gifted writer and gave me back the passion of learning.  Nice, I still think of her fondly. 

Respected Contributor

This one came to mind... in elementary school, it had been raining for a few days, then we went out for recess on the playground even with all the puddles and mud, there was enough grass and sand around so it was fine. We were told to stay off the slides because of the big puddles at the bottom - did I listen?, well of course not! - went down the tallest slide thinking I could jump across the puddle - hahaha WRONG!!! I had mud everywhere, my clothes were soaked and muddy. The teacher  told me to go inside to the office where I had to stand there and wait for my mother to pick me up. Boy, was she mad 😡!!!

She made me sit on beach towels in the car and not saying a word until we got home 🤬, and then made me go in the basement and put my clothes and the towels in the washer, take a bath, hang my clothes out on the cloths pole and clean my shoes while I was out there too.

Gotta laugh. I was such a tomboy. And a puddle never stopped me!! 

(I can still hear her now!! Gotta love moms!)

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This didn't happen to me, but to my friend, but I still chuckle about it whenever it comes to mind. In 8th grade we all did presentations representing scientific principles. I don't even remember what one I did. However my friend decided she was going to do centrifugal force. She and her "assistant" brought in a large metal bucket and filled it full of water. She then picked it up by the handle and began to attempt to swing it in a circle over her head to prove the force of the movement would hold the water in the bucket. Unfortunatelhy, she didn't think it through, nor practice it, and when she went to swing it over her head, her arms couldn't bear the weight and she poured it all over herself and surrounding obstacles and people. I could NOT stop laughing even though I felt bad for her. After we mopped up and squeezed out the water in her clothes and dried her hair, the teacher suggested she reprise her demonstration, but instead fill the bucket with felt blackboard erasers. Worked like a charm, but not nearly as funny.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I was in fifth grade and it was the height of the Davy Crockett craze.  I went to school in Silver Spring MD and one day a classmate walked in wearing a real coonskin cap that Fess Parker gave to her Dad.  To this day I still remember my lucky classmate's name; talk about envy!!!

King of the wild frontier.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if this is funny but here goes. I was a sickly child growing up, if I as much as sneezed my mother would ask "are you getting sick"? We lived in Brooklyn, my school was across the street, so I didn't have far to go. In the winter my mother would bundle me up like the kid Randy in A Christmas Story. When I was in first grade one day my mother wrapped this scarf around my face, covering up my nose and mouth so I could hardly breathe, and made a big old knot in the back of my head. When I got to school I couldn't get the scarf off, the teacher had to help me and she had a tough time with the knot!