Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a funny grade school story?

What great stories! So many made mt chuckle and 😊 

Respected Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

When I was in grade school my father told me that if anyone asks me what my father's job was he said to say, " he stays home and plays pinochle".

Yep, I was given a letter to give to my dad requesting him to meet with the principal.

lololol omg too funny...i just spit out all my skittles over my keyboard!! 

Respected Contributor

I thought of another incident, not really funny, just makes you wonder about educational standards back in the day. Our school  was small, we only had one class per grade.

i was in 2nd grade. it was about halfway through the school year.  A teacher came in the classroom with an older kid who was in 3rd grade. he was crying and she had him by the collar. 

She dragged him over to the side counter where the dictionaries were shelved and sat him down roughly on a chair. My teacher came over to them and the other teacher said. "John is misbehaving and can't learn and he needs to be put back into 2nd grade" My teacher went over to them and mumbled something like he needs to be taught a lesson.

John sat there the rest of the day and then the next day they put in the desk with attached chair like the others.   No parents came. no principals. Just the two teachers decided he deserved to be demoted to 2nd grade!

Honored Contributor

First day of 4th grade (for me).  I had only been the U.S. three days.  I remember sitting next to my father in the principal's office.  He was trying to figure out what grade to put me in.  He told him I was very good at Math, but not very diligent in other subjects and tended to daydream. Did my father have to tell him stuff like that? I didn't know any English.  I ended up in the 3rd grade.  I was so ashamed.  I was older.  I went back to 4th grade for Math, then back to the 3rd grade the rest of the day. (later I got promoted in Math to the 5th grade.  I was all over the grades in Elementary school). Outside of Math,  I didn't do anything for the longest time. Just sat there looking around.  They stuck flash cards on the table, chair, door, etc.  Trying to make me say the words. I lost my lunch money, got hysterical bursting in to tears because I thought I would not be able to eat.  Nobody could understand me.  They had to call my parents to come down to the school. The teacher gave me money for food after calming me down.   So much for the first day of school.   I learned more English from my father then anyone at school. The other kids thought I was strange not being able to speak to them. the funny part was the kids were doing a French language play about Snow White.  I knew more French then the kids did, but my accent was different.  I ended up a year behind.  And a year ahead in Math for the rest of my school career.  I really started to learn English toward the end of Elementary school.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I went to a private Catholic grade school in the 50's and early 60's and it was like a concentration camp where they let you go home at the end of the day. When we graduated from the 8th grade and all went our separate ways for high school,our mantra was, I survived a Catholic education.

I went through the first and second grades in Catholic school when suddenly I found myself in the third grade in public school.  I never did find out why my parents transferred my sister and I but I was one happy camper.  I didn't like kids having to stand in front of the room with gum on their nose or kids having their hands slapped with a ruler.  Perhaps that is what our parents didn't like either. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 When I was in Jr. High School the boys had a shop class and I will always remember their teacher, Mr. Harding.   He was strict and if anyone got of line he would give them a slap on their back.  Needless to say the boys stood online like soldiers and even the rest of us knew to be on our best behavior when we were anywhere him. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

I hated grade school. I was small and shy, and not good at games, and was always teased and bullied terribly. One day when I was in the third or fourth grade we had a test in math class. I started working through the problems when I noticed out of the corner of my eye the girl sitting across the aisle, and who was one of the creeps who bullied me. She was copying me. It was obvious. She was craning her head to watch what I wrote and then quickly copying it down on her paper. So I wrote wrong answers to all the problems. After she stood up, walked to the teacher's desk and handed in her paper, I erased all the erroneous answers and wrote the correct ones. 

A couple days later the teacher handed back the corrected papers. My little bully across the aisle was shocked to see that all the answers on her paper were marked wrong. I placed my paper on the corner of my desk so she could see it. She kept looking back and forth between her F paper and my A paper trying to figure out what went wrong, how it was possible. Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in the 3rd grade, Mom had taken me to the beauty parlor and gotten me a ''permanent'' in my hair. Dear Lord !!  They must have left it in to long because there were tight ringlet curls all over my head !  I was mortified....but went to  school anyway, sitting in class with a ''scarf'' over my head, tied at the neck  !!!  A (so called) friend who sat behind me decided she would jerk the scarf off with one swift pull.  Nope, no so funny then or now.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in the 6th or 7th grade in Brooklyn, NY. This was in the early 1950s - before bullying. I was the shortest person in the class (and school) and one boy in my class - who was tall, heavyset, had red hair and freckles - would call me midget. He would stare down at me and he'd say that. I was also the quietest student in the school.

I could never remember the names of other students in my class - except I remembered his name. Several years ago, I went on Facebook and emailed him, asking if he was tall, heavyset, with red hair and freckles. Of course, no answer. Then I emailed him again - telling him that I never forgot how he called me midget. I didn't expect an answer -- but it took me almost 60 yrs to get back at him. Felt good to do that.

Esteemed Contributor

@sarahpanda  My Mom was the Queen of Toni home perms. Oh, those class pictures are just hysterical.  I'm surprised we suffocate from the fumes alone.