Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a funny grade school story?

Well, it's kind of funny....but NOT!  We walked to school back in the 50's.  It was a wet snowy slushy day.   I was walking home from school with my best friend.  Some boy from my 6th grade class was walking behind me kicking cold wet slush on me.  I turned around to kick some back on him, slipped and fell and broke my wrist.  Had to have a cast over the hand and clear up over my elbow!  So much for trying to get even.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Same story as @blackhole99 Smiley Sad

I know from whence you speak.  Somehow, after escaping, I developed a wild sense of humor.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Another survivor of parochial school here!

I guess this isn’t really funny but I’ll never forget the day in 4th gr when our teacher finally got fed up with the misbehavior of Louis P. She called to the office, Principal (a nun) came to our room, dragged a chair to the front, sat down and proceeded to paddle Louis as he laid across her lap.  The rest of us sat with our hands folded, thanking God it wasn’t one of us.  😂😂😂

The next day Louis was gone, banished to public school! That was a fate worse than death according to the nuns! 

@Kalli  I think Louis P. knew what he was doing.  Woman Wink

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Kalli wrote:

Another survivor of parochial school here!

I guess this isn’t really funny but I’ll never forget the day in 4th gr when our teacher finally got fed up with the misbehavior of Louis P. She called to the office, Principal (a nun) came to our room, dragged a chair to the front, sat down and proceeded to paddle Louis as he laid across her lap.  The rest of us sat with our hands folded, thanking God it wasn’t one of us.  😂😂😂

The next day Louis was gone, banished to public school! That was a fate worse than death according to the nuns! 

@Kalli  I think Louis P. knew what he was doing.  Woman Wink

@RoughDraft, oh, yeah...for sure! 😆😆.  We never spoke of him again, except in hushed whispers!

But honestly, back then I’m sure his parents weren’t happy with him and were probably ashamed and embarrassed by their child’s behavior.  Probably wouldn’t happen that way now. It’s sad that now instructional time is constantly being interrupted with little to no negative consequences. But that’s a discussion for another thread.

Respected Contributor

I was in a dime store with my Aunt & pointed out my kindergarten teacher. My Aunt insisted that I go over go say hello but I didn't want to because she was busy looking at lace hankies & I was extremely shy. Well after all my no's over we go & I say Hello Mrs Vomit, my Aunt was horrified & scolded me for calling her such an awful name & I better apologize right this instant. My teacher turned bright red & said No, that's my name...my Aunt apologized tripping over her words & we parted quickly. Anyway it all worked out for me...I got to pick anything I wanted at the candy counter because my Aunt felt so guilty. 

Esteemed Contributor

A very long time ago, we lived near a very old elementary school, a brick two-story, now long torn down.  I remember the kindergarten room and a special incident.  A little classmate used to have some issues with occasionally wetting her pants.  Our clever teacher had her remove her panties, and teacher placed them on the radiator to dry.  The heat and urine made a heady mixture.  

Honored Contributor

I'm saving them for my book.

Respected Contributor

When I was in grade school my father told me that if anyone asks me what my father's job was he said to say, " he stays home and plays pinochle".

Yep, I was given a letter to give to my dad requesting him to meet with the principal.

Esteemed Contributor

In 4th grade I thought I could run like the wind, so I'd challenge myself by missing the bus on purpose and trying to beat the bus home. I'd leave my clarinet case and notebooks with my sister on the bus. She was a fifth grader and thought I was a dork.

My street was the first pick up and last drop off. The bus went up and down the neighborhood stopping before it got to my house. I'd take the straightest route home and it was 50/50 if I could beat the bus home. If the bus passed me, the kids on the bus would jeer and cheer. Bus driver always waved. I was over it in 5th grade. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in the 1st grade in a school in New York City in 1947. We were in the auditorium watching a movie. My mom stood outside the school waiting for me to come out --- all the students left the school - except me. She went into the auditorium - and I was fast asleep.

20 yrs ago I was a temp at Prudential Insurance in southern Calif. I worked for a couple of weeks - until they told us to go into a room to watch a video - about insurance. It was chilly and dark - and I kept telling myself, "Don't Fall Asleep." It happened - and my temp job was over.

When I woke up - the guy behind my chair told me that I slept sitting up -- not slouched over.

I don't go to the movie theatres often - but I usually fall asleep.