Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a funny grade school story?

This is almost 50 yrs.ago. We had to have a physical at school at the  beginning of grades 1 thru 6.  With the 5th grade physical looming the girls all wanted training bras (what do they train them to do)_It was that or an undershirt. It was 1 5th class of maybe 20 kids.So maybe 10/11 Mothers dragged their kids to the local department store for training bras. The morning of my physical I proudly got it on and off I went.  All of us were  in one big room with a screen setup. You went with the nurse behind the screen and she stayed for the whole maybe 5 minute checkup. Just the basics eyes,ears, nose heart  etc .I went home for lunch and as my Mother told it, the bra was almost around my neck because I had nothing to hold it down. Thanks Mom

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a funny grade school story?

Grade school was a nightmare for me, so no funny stories here.

Honored Contributor

I was not involved but the story is about me.

On open school night in kindergarten my parents met Jans parents, her dad said to my Mom our Jan and Ellen should play together some time, the teacher over heard this and said Jan and Ellen together in the same room

Well I will have you know that it is 60 + years later and Jan and I are still friends, we keep up thru FB and we stayed at her home on Martha's Vineyard this past Summer

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99   I am sorry you had a bad time in grade school.

@I am still oxox  I too am friends with a couple people from grade school.

Frequent Contributor

I was in the 3rd grade. My dad took me to school and on Monday mornings he would let me off and take the church's contributions to the bank in two bank sacks. Every Monday I would eye these bags and then one day I slipped one of them in my bookbag and went into the school room.  I was having a high old time showing my classmates all the money my dad had and they were "OOing" and "Ahhing" for about fifteen minutes. All of a sudden my dad walked into the room. He took the bag from me and gave me that look that he would handle this later with me.  For about 15 minutes I was the most famous 3rd grader at Luther Burbank Grade School. I can not remember what was done to me at home so he must have cooled down by then.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I went to a private Catholic grade school in the 50's and early 60's and it was like a concentration camp where they let you go home at the end of the day. When we graduated from the 8th grade and all went our separate ways for high school,our mantra was, I survived a Catholic education.

Valued Contributor

Fifth grade. All my life I'd had a "nervous" stomach--that's what Mom called it--and could upchuck almost by just thinking about it. So one morning I was feeling queasy in class and asked my teacher for a note to the nurse's office. He said no. I went back to sit at my desk and after a few minutes I could feel things starting to happen digestion wise so I went back to his desk to ask again for a nurse's note and then it all came up: On his desk and down his pants' leg and shoes. He never denied me a note to the nurse's office again.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

When my younger daughter was in 3rd grade she started a petition in her class.  She talked every child into signing it except one little boy.  The petition?  "We do not want to be yelled at anymore.  That is abuse!"  She then presented it to the principal.  Needless to say, I was called to the school.  I told the principal that I was proud of her and they should be more worried about a teacher yelling at students.  I still have that petition.  And, that teacher took a leave of absence.  I was a social worker who made sure to tell my children to stand up if they ever felt uncomfortable about anything.  This was about 25 years ago.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Deblife  OMG that's funny.  I remember that "wait til you get home look".

My sister and I were laughing about how we survived back then. The playground was macadam with swings that had metal seats and  metal chains to hold on to and a high metal slide. Let me tell you those puppies got hot when the sun hit them. If anyone fell off the top of that slide they would have cracked their head open at he least.

Also we had 10' windows that pulled open at the top.  You opened and closed them with a long pole.  During fire drills a lucky kid got to stay and close the windows while eveyone else headed out. 

If you carried your lunch it was kept in the coat room. In warm/hot weather a cute Mickey Mouse lunchbox or a brownpaper bag did little for food safety unless it was peanut butter and jelly.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in fifth grade and it was the height of the Davy Crockett craze.  I went to school in Silver Spring MD and one day a classmate walked in wearing a real coonskin cap that Fess Parker gave to her Dad.  To this day I still remember my lucky classmate's name; talk about envy!!!