Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a front porch you set out on, or an out back deck?

Our snow's melting and this subject just me all the more anxious for some great spring weather. It can't be long now and we can get out on the decks and porches. Thanks!

Regular Contributor

In our neighborhood near Boston, many of the newer houses had several porches around the house but i never saw anyone actually using them -- they were just there. And one family went all out to redo their back yard for parties -- cook outs, etc. even to going as far as driving a truck through my back yard -- and I think possibly used it once a year or less.

Personally we had a porch on the back where we used to sit at night, but I preferred the front steps where people used to sit and visit with the neighbors,

Super Contributor

No, we don't have a front porch, but we do have a deck, barbeque pit, and swimming pool in the back. It is our retirement home. I really love it...except for the upkeep. I let DH clean the barbeque pit and someone else takes care of the pool.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

I have a double-size balcony. I LOVE IT!

Respected Contributor

I have patio off of my living room that is fenced in for privacy. I have a small flower garden at the edge of it. I love my patio. In my other house I had a back deck and hated it. I'd never have another deck. I prefer a the patio.

Super Contributor

we have a covered back patio and only a little walk up porch to our front door. I really miss a porch, especially in the summer. As a kid everyone in our neighborhood used to spend the entire evening out on the porch during hot weather. Sometimes we would all be out there till midnight. The porch was an extension of the house; an extra "room" so to speak. We had a glider and chairs and a beautiful straw rug. If we ever build our own home a porch would be right on top of my list of must haves !!!!!

Valued Contributor

I have a screened in porch and deck off the kitchen. But, this year I noticed that it has some rotten boards, so I need a builder to repair before we enjoy it. I also noticed the railings are loose. I would love to get vinyl railings and no more painting. It is actually too buggy where I live to sit outside on the deck, but the screened in area is bug free.

Honored Contributor

We have a front porch and back patio. However, we use the patio almost exclusively and just about every day, weather permitting. We feed the birds year round and have lots of trees, shrubs and flowers in our back yard so we can watch the birds come and go all the time. The patio is such a relaxing place to have that first cup of morning coffee or lunch or dinner. Or, just to sit out there in the morning or afternoon or evening; it's such a treat.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

When we first moved here, we had a nice, large deck right off the dining area. After a couple years of misquitoes etc. we had it screened in and call it our patio now, and we love it!! It's a nice large area with my swing, a couch, and a granite six place table and chairs. Lovely!! Nice bird feeders to watch the birds - it's private, and so very nice to entertain too.

Super Contributor

On 3/22/2014 Peaches McPhee said:
On 3/22/2014 Starlight1 said:

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I live in NY city and have a small house with a small porch. I love my porch.

I am going to display my ignorance, and say that I thought NYC only had apartments or town homes. What part of NYC has small houses with small porches (which sounds charming).

All the boroughs have private homes, some with porches and some not. We have a stoop, a back deck, patio and decent sized yard with grass and trees even! Lol