Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a front porch you set out on, or an out back deck?

On 3/22/2014 Starlight1 said:

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I live in NY city and have a small house with a small porch. I love my porch.

I am going to display my ignorance, and say that I thought NYC only had apartments or town homes. What part of NYC has small houses with small porches (which sounds charming).

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

We have a front porch, and we also use our garage for protected seating. Last year we installed sunshades on our porch, so we can lower the shades to block the intense afternoon sun, and still have comfortable seating on the porch.

Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2014 Peaches McPhee said:
On 3/22/2014 Starlight1 said:

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I live in NY city and have a small house with a small porch. I love my porch.

I am going to display my ignorance, and say that I thought NYC only had apartments or town homes. What part of NYC has small houses with small porches (which sounds charming).

My grandparents had a small single family 3 three story home in Bayside (Queens). Front porches all three levels.

Honored Contributor

Our front porch was originally open air. Then was enclosed with screens. Then storm windows and screens.

Then torn down completely, built up to be level with the living room. Has 8 large paned windows and a full glass storm door. Light yellow and white striped awnings

It has a custom built dining table on one side and wicker seating on the other side. It's still a porch though.

We have two decks on both sides of the house. One off the kitchen, one off our bedroom.

Honored Contributor

My DH and i are always amazed at the number of people here in Florida who sit out in their driveway when every house in our plan has a screened lanai in the rear.
Super Contributor

Although I have a front porch, it's a long, narrow one, plus it's not private enough.

I use my screened in patio year round, and LOVE it!!!

Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2014 happy housewife said: My DH and i are always amazed at the number of people here in Florida who sit out in their driveway when every house in our plan has a screened lanai in the rear.

You sit out front to see people and wave at the neighbors. Sometimes in the summer in the late afternoon we sit on our front porch with iced tea and extra glasses and cups. Neighbors out walking the dog, exercising or just taking a stroll know they can stop and visit and get something to drink.

We love to sit out back on the deck, but it's fun too to sit out front and see everyone.

Respected Contributor

In California, it's all about the deck. I have french doors in my bedroom that open onto my redwood deck at the back of the house. I never understood sitting in front of the house watching cars go by.
Honored Contributor

A pretty large deck.

Super Contributor

My DS and DIL built me a deck (12' x 19') on the back of the house in 2008, I sit out more in the summer afternoon and evening. I've been trying to make up my mind to put a roof on it and screen it in, I've always wanted a screened in porch. They didn't want to attempt the roof, but I love the deck. I would have moved years ago had it not been for that deck.