Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite trick, secret, shortcut for anything..cooking, cleaning, pets, fashion, e

@aroc3435 .......Thanks I will have to try that.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite trick, secret, shortcut for anything..cooking, cleaning, pets, fashion, e

@aroc3435 wrote: 

"...before and after opening keep your containers of sour cream, ricotta, or mozzarella balls stored with the lid face down on the refrigerator shelf.  Stay good much longer."

I'm apparently older than you, but I've been doing this for nearly five decades.  Not just in the refrigerator, but the pantry shelves as well.  Of course it is important to make sure the lids are tight and/or they sit on a saucer.  (I learned the hard way when ants discovered a leaky honey jar.   Woman Frustrated)  The logic behind the idea is that, when turned upside down, the contents seal and block the path for air getting inside.  It works!  

Another tip I've used for ages is to (apply tape and) date every leftover that goes into the refrigerator, including on the shells of hard cooked eggs (tape not necessary).  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

Extend the life of celery by wrapping it with aluminum foil before storing in the crisper drawer.  Wrapping fresh greens, particularly romaine lettuce, with paper toweling does as well, too.

Respected Contributor

I don't remember who first shared this, but I learned here in the forums how to find the short end (head or foot) of a fitted sheet when making the bed.  Look for the tag sewn into a corner.  That tag usually designates the short end (but I have one set that doesn't).

Respected Contributor

Since many of you brought up Kitchen gadgets I love my automatic  battery wine bottle opener. Push the button and corkscrew goes down and push the other end of the button and cork is pulled up. I never have had a broken off  cork or a piece fall into the bottle. I used to trouble twisting in a corkscrew straight.

Mine is from HSN  ,a Wolfgang Puck  brand. Changing batteries are tricky to make sure replaced in alternating directions. I have had the unit several years and replaced  batteries once. I had an Oster opener but did not care for it.  If one frequently opens a bottle of wine ,it is great gadget.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When baking with cranberries such as muffins or cranberry bread, you do not have to chop them.  Just put them in whole and they will pop while baking.

When baking with cranberries and blueberries and you want them to be evenly distributed throughout your muffin or bread, give them a dusting of flour - it will help keep them from sinking to the bottom.  Add just before banking.

BUT: Do not use extra flour,  Just take a bit from the flour you measured out.

Peeling pearl onions-bring a pan of water to boil; ease the onions in and boil for 1 minute.  Remove, place in ice bath to cool, (I just run cold water over them after draining) then just pinch one end and the little onion will pop right out.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012   Do you have a lobster cracker gadget or a nutcracker, or a pair of pliers.  In a pinch I have used one of these to open up a stubborn cap.  Take a cotton table napkin or kitchen towel or a clean waffle dish cloth and cover the cap with it; put grippers around that and twist.  

It has given me just enough grip to remove the cap or lid.

Of course, now I have two different types of jar opener gadgets purchased from the Q to "cover" the removal of stubborn caps and lids!

Best of luck,

aroc3435 

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@beckyb1012   Do you have a lobster cracker gadget or a nutcracker, or a pair of pliers.  In a pinch I have used one of these to open up a stubborn cap.  Take a cotten table napkin or kitchen towel or a clean waffle dish cloth and cover the cap with it; put grippers around that and twist.  

Of course, now I have two different types of jar opener gadgets purchased from the Q to "cover" the removal of stubborn caps and lids!

Best of luck,

aroc3435 

The easiest way I've found to open a jar is to use a knife or a can opener under the lid until I hear a pop. The vacuum is released and the top comes off easily.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

If you put your lemons in a Ziploc freezer bag inside the refrigerator they last for weeks. No mold or browning. Just fresh like the day you brought them home.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@beckyb1012   Do you have a lobster cracker gadget or a nutcracker, or a pair of pliers.  In a pinch I have used one of these to open up a stubborn cap.  Take a cotton table napkin or kitchen towel or a clean waffle dish cloth and cover the cap with it; put grippers around that and twist.  

Best of luck,

aroc3435 

@beckyb1012   If @aroc3435 's suggestion doesn't work, try opening the bottle while wearing a pair of rubber gloves. Not the fitted kind that many are wearing out now - the big clumsy looking ones that people wear when washing dishes. They will help you to grip while you turn the bottle and release the pressure.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.