Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite day to get groceries?

I like to go on Fridays. It's the first day of the new sale and I like having what I need for the weekend and beginning of the work week. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden ---Yes,  have to say for the most part ,all has been very good, altho I like to get my own produce myself. but things like bananas, root veg, onions, spuds-- are just fine--have had to throw out a few things mostly the softer produce but always get refunded for those. the meat is fine and sometimes less pricey and all dates are normal---I mostly use amazon fresh and  started back with instacart for Safeway--have one person who does a fabulous job with the produce--she always texts me about what is available and what looks good or not--I tip her a little more for that. DD and I try to go to town on the weekends for produce. Use by dates are not a thing for me except for perishable items---

Honored Contributor

@tansy --oh I see now Woman Happy---no, I get deliveries at my door. Maybe having a lobby is the reason--in my complex there are separate buildings--the main office is in the very front of the area.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@SeaMaiden ---Yes,  have to say for the most part ,all has been very good, altho I like to get my own produce myself. but things like bananas, root veg, onions, spuds-- are just fine--have had to throw out a few things mostly the softer produce but always get refunded for those. the meat is fine and sometimes less pricey and all dates are normal---I mostly use amazon fresh and  started back with instacart for Safeway--have one person who does a fabulous job with the produce--she always texts me about what is available and what looks good or not--I tip her a little more for that. DD and I try to go to town on the weekends for produce. Use by dates are not a thing for me except for perishable items---

@wagirl   Who do you tip? The person who collects your order?  Do you tip them online?  I did not know you were expected to tip.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden --yes the shopper gets the tip if they also deliver to you, otherwise it is just the one who delivers. and there is a suggested tip on the checkout page that you can use or do your own--I usually add a bit more as they are hauling bags and heavy things up a flight of stairs. No the tip is voluntary but to my way of thinking, they deserves something for what they do----

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal 

I have my groceries delivered by Instacart and have found that our grocery store chain here---HEB seems to be well stocked on Thursday morning.....I learned the hard way dont do your shopping on the weekends or Monday!!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

No. Supermarket is just down the block. I walk right passed it whenever I go anywhere - so easy to pick up as needed.  Rarely if ever a line to check out.  

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@tansy ---not understanding your question---yes the groceries are delivered to my door--not if because they are---

@wagirl @tansy 

I use Instacart..... and have gotten to know a few of the same shoppers that have shopped/delivered my groceries......They have told me that have had to delivery groceries from COSTCO (large quantities) to 4th floor apartments in the 100 degree heat here in Texas, and sometimes they dont even get a tip!!! (tips are optional, there are some customers that are inconsiderate!)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

Used to shop on Wednesdays--ad day--once a week, but now I order online whenever needed---don't have a car anymore and live on the 2nd floor in an apatment and no way can cart bags of groceries upstairs. 

@wagirl     I do everything online and delivery EXCEPT groceries.  Have not dipped my toe into those waters YET.

I am so darn picky about what I pick out... expecially vegetables and the use by dates etc.  How has your grocery items been? Have you had issues with some things not being to your quality of standards? What about expiration dates... I bet they do not pick from the back  to get the best dates. 

@SeaMaiden 

I have been using Instacart for 3 years now....and in the beginning there were a few hiccups, but now its a smoothly run "well oiled" operation.  All the shoppers have been professional, efficient, and FAST and followed my instructions, they are trained to watch expiration dates, (one shopper even took photos of the expiration dates for the items on the shelf and posted it on chat) if the dates are not that far ahead the shoppers I have had will tell you. You can request that they show you a photo or describe the veggie or fruit they'e selected.  I always select a replacement (a second choice in case the store is out of my first selection). When they deliver, Ive always received my correct order and they are bagged nicely.  I always give them a nice tip!!! The Express Membership works out to $12 a month, and with this membership no delivery is charged  but it does include a $2 service fee and usually $2-$3 for the sales tax). The tip is optional and I always tip because I have a lot of heavy items in my order.  Instacart has said if a Shopper doesnt get a 5 star rating they dont use that person again! 

Now some friends will do the HEB grocery store's own curbside, or delivery (but the store limits the quantity to just small orders since its free)....and but boy the store's curbside and delivery makes a lot of mistakes---its free but you get what you pay for....she gets other people's items, or items are missing from her order all the time, I'll stick with Instacart!! ....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt --just horrible!!! Well, I tip generously no matter what--those folks are working hard and I appreciate their work.