Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite day to get groceries?

I always had to shop on Saturdays and Sundays for my entire adult life. Hated the crowds and despised food shopping for such a long time but had no choice because I always worked at least 40 hours a week plus a total commute time of 2 hours a day.  I retired in the summer and I am just figuring out my favorite day to shop.  So far it is on Tuesdays because my local Acme has 5 percent off for those over 60.

Honored Contributor

I usually go on Tues, Wed, or Thurs.  I seldom go on Mon or Fri, and never on the weekends.

I mostly have always tried to go at times when there are less people there so I'll go on these mid-week days at some point between 9am and 11am.

Honored Contributor

I shop when I need to.  It could be any day of the week.  I don't shop every week.  

Sometimes I go three or four weeks between trips making a large haul.  I might stop to grab a few items at the two week mark. My DH needs his half and half for coffee, heavens forbid if he runs out.

Honored Contributor

There are special days for discounts for seniors like the first tuesday of the month  a 10% discount at Fred Meyers( Kroger), I pretty much go when I am needing something then for that discount on their store brands.  We do usually always go to Safeway on Saturday for the same things we buy once a week to make salads for the week... 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@tansy ---not understanding your question---yes the groceries are delivered to my door--not if because they are---

That's good, @wagirl.  I just wondered if grocery delivery would be to a lobby or actually to a resident's door.  Someone here has complained about that, actually a couple of posters have.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

Used to shop on Wednesdays--ad day--once a week, but now I order online whenever needed---don't have a car anymore and live on the 2nd floor in an apatment and no way can cart bags of groceries upstairs. 

@wagirl     I do everything online and delivery EXCEPT groceries.  Have not dipped my toe into those waters YET.

I am so darn picky about what I pick out... expecially vegetables and the use by dates etc.  How has your grocery items been? Have you had issues with some things not being to your quality of standards? What about expiration dates... I bet they do not pick from the back  to get the best dates. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@Liverbird1 wrote:

Target always seem to stock shelves in the day , blocking the aisles .I think maybe they cannot get anybody to work the night shift ?

We pass a Walmart and they have many signs in front of the store. They are hiring people to stock shelves at night. The sign says the pay starts at $18.50 an hour. 

That's good pay for stocking shelves.

I don't shop a certain day.  But the worst time to shop is Sunday evening.  At weekend's end, the shelves are relatively empty.

Honored Contributor

Early Thursday morning.  Not too busy and well-stocked.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I agree @On It . I never shop on Mondays. It seems it takes them all day to restock/receive new produce and meats from weekend sales. I'm there early Tuesday morning. 

Me too; Tuesday. For the reasons you stated.

(But not all that early.)

Honored Contributor

7 A.M. Sunday morning. That's the earliest I can get an curbside pickup time. I chose Sunday b/c that's usually not a busy day especially that early in the morning.