Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite day to get groceries?

Yes definitely.   I like to shop on Wednesdays and Sundays; around the 10th and 27th of the month, which is after both SS paydays, railroad paydays, and welfare paydays.   

Respected Contributor

We go on Sunday mornings after breakfast at our favorite diner.  My BF is used to getting up early for work (3am), so we leave the house at 6:30am. 

He liked going to Food Lion, but I finally convinced him to go to Publix as the meat is so much better.  We still shop at FL for some items and they are definitely less expensive, but now some shelves are often empty. 

I miss going to Costco (pandemic) and I think I've been to Walmart once in the last 3 years (pandemic). He dislikes Harris Teeter. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I agree @On It . I never shop on Mondays. It seems it takes them all day to restock/receive new produce and meats from weekend sales. I'm there early Tuesday morning. 

@Shanus I agree about Mondays.  I do pickups only and have for a couple of years now.  I avoid Monday because stocks are depleated from the weekend.  I also avoid Fridays later in the day as things sell rapidly for the weekend.

I don't shop really by ads, but do take sales when I see them and stock up on meats.  

To save money, don't buy junk food or anything that will sit on the shelf and may or may not be eaten.

Don't buy something special for a new dish to make unless you have the printed copy of the recipe pinned to your list.  Otherwise you'll lose the recipe and the ingredients you bought will be there forever and ever amen. 

@Sooner   ITA. Love country music and think there's a song "I'M GOING TO LOVE YOU FOREVER" that says "forever and ever amen." Great song and good tip about ingredients. Thanks. 

Respected Contributor

Usually Thursday or Friday. Unless it's the first Wednesday of the month That's senior discount day in my area. Then I go early because of all of the snowbirds. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's not a hard or fast rule but I lean towards Friday and Saturdays. Friday is one of my Telecommute days and I need to be online by 8:00 a.m. If I chose that day I will hit the store between 6:30 or 7:00 to be back home in time to log on to my computer.

If it's a Saturday, I still like to go early in the morning, but normally around 8:00 or 8:30. I tend to shop every other week, but if I am out of something I will go earlier. 

I shop at Costco about every three months. I hit it as soon as it opens at 10:00 a.m. 

Valued Contributor

6am when Wegmans opens or as early as possible. Depending on my job schedule depends on the day I go. Other grocery stores I also go to when they open or super early. No crowds!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I order groceries when we need more supplies. No particular day. And I go when they say my order is ready to pick up.

It's really easy and doesn't waste my time. I have no desire to go back to regularly wandering the aisles or waiting pointlessly in checkout lines.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I don't have a favorite day for stock-up shopping.  I keep a running list of wants and needs, try to keep track of sales, but shop when I need fresh fruits and veggies or, heaven forbid, run out of coffee!

I don't have a specific day either for going to the grocery.  It's always a big dread for me, but running out of coffee also dictates when I have to go @millieshops .

Honored Contributor

For the last two months I have had my groceries delivered thru a local grocer.  They use local delivery services and the tip is included in the delivery charge.  Usually Tuesday or Wednesday.  It fluctuated with the holidays a little.  The service is great when it is really cold out or hot.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

Used to go on Friday...when whole family@ home.

Made the mistake of Monday@Walmart..all cleaned out from weekend.. hadn't restocked.

Re(a)d..Tues., Wed., Thurs...is supposed to be best.so that it.

Today, Did my 1st food delivery service...since "snowed-in".

OK..some missing items...CS said..blah,blah,blah.. shipping problems.

Don't know if will continue when weather gets better.

Nothing like "doin' it yourself"! 😉