Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite catsup?

I only buy Heinz. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Oh lawd.  An argument on a catsup thread.  ROFLOL

I only buy organic catsup.  Either the one from Aldi or Nature's Basket which is my grocery store's brand.

@Lipstickdiva

I doubt it has anything to do with ketchup. 

Really?  "An internet warrior" if you like a ketchup?  SMH

From Urban Dictionary:

"Internet warrior:

"People with very empty lives that try to act tough on the internet, little realising they're making themselves look like total idiots. The only pleasure they have in life is signing into sites like YouTube and leaving stupid comments and sending people stupid messages. Usually they can barely spell or form a coherent sentence."

Niiiiiiice to call someone that for no intelligible reason.  Of course, it's possible they didn't know the meaning. But then why... Nah. I'm going with intentional. Over liking one store's catsup.

@Moonchilde 

Gee, neither mtc or I argued about ketchup.  She just said she likes TJ's and I said I did, too.  No argument at all.

I think at least a couple of us know who the real IW is.

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up on Heinz.  I am not sure what all the kerfuffle regarding Trader Joe's ketchup is all about, but it is my favorite.  It tastes like homemade restaurant ketchup.  

Is "catsup" a regional thing?

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

I grew up on Heinz.  I am not sure what all the kerfuffle regarding Trader Joe's ketchup is all about, but it is my favorite.  It tastes like homemade restaurant ketchup.  

I don't know @magicmoodz  It might be, I heard it all the time as a kid.  It might also be a time/generation thing from decades ago.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Oh lawd.  An argument on a catsup thread.  ROFLOL

I only buy organic catsup.  Either the one from Aldi or Nature's Basket which is my grocery store's brand.

@Lipstickdiva

I doubt it has anything to do with ketchup. 

Really?  "An internet warrior" if you like a ketchup?  SMH

From Urban Dictionary:

"Internet warrior:

"People with very empty lives that try to act tough on the internet, little realising they're making themselves look like total idiots. The only pleasure they have in life is signing into sites like YouTube and leaving stupid comments and sending people stupid messages. Usually they can barely spell or form a coherent sentence."

Niiiiiiice to call someone that for no intelligible reason.  Of course, it's possible they didn't know the meaning. But then why... Nah. I'm going with intentional. Over liking one store's catsup.

@Moonchilde 

Gee, neither mtc or I argued about ketchup.  She just said she likes TJ's and I said I did, too.  No argument at all.

I think at least a couple of us know who the real IW is.

And that it never had anything to do with catsup in the first place.

But - back to catsup! 👹

Has anyone ever had Indonesian ketjap? YUM!  Not tomato-based, but their version of the sauce they use like we use catsup. Soy sauce, brown sugar, molasses, garlic, ginger, anise, coriander, bay leaf.

And "catsup substitutes" - so many people use mayo in place of catsup on fries, etc. Ewww.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

catsup

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe, have you ever seen this book?   It's very relevant to Chicago 

IMG_2479.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

I don't know @magicmoodz  It might be, I heard it all the time as a kid.  It might also be a time/generation thing from decades ago.

What I've always heard/read is that "catsup" was the original spelling when it started being used, but so much advertising over the years has said "ketchup" (probably based on how it's always been pronounced) that most people would write ketchup these days. It's an either/or. I think catsup is the more original, old-fashioned spelling in the US.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

ETOMOLOGY of CATSUP etc.:

ketchup. Is it ketchup, catsup, catchup, or kitchup? Since the word derives from the Chinese Amoy dialect ke-tsiap, "pickled fish-brine or sauce," which became the Malay kechap, the first spelling is perhaps the best. The original condiment that Dutch traders imported from the Orient appears to have been either a fish sauce similar to the Roman garum or a sauce made from special mushrooms salted for preservation. Englishmen added a "t" to the Malay word, changed the "a" to "u" and began making ketchup themselves, using ingredients like mushrooms, walnuts, cucumbers, and oysters.

It wasn't until American seamen added tomatoes from Mexico or the Spanish West Indies that tomato ketchup was born. But the spelling and pronunciation "catsup" have strong literary precedents, as witness Dean Swift's "And for our home-bred British cheer,/ Botargo {fish roe relish}, catsup and cabiar {caviar}." (1730). Catchup has an earlier citation (1690) than either of the other spellings, predating ketchup by some 20 years. Ketjap, the Dutch word for the sauce, and kitchup have also been used in English.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri36 wrote:

@momtochloe, have you ever seen this book?   It's very relevant to Chicago 

IMG_2479.JPG

Oh goodness @Bri36 you can't be raised in the Chicagoland area to know that book is not mandatory reading . . . tee hee!  When I was little, I hated mustard so I always put ketchup on my hotdog . . . I can still remember the looks to this day . . . Smiley Happy

eta:  I just got an email from Buono Beef where their hotdogs will be a dollar on Tuesday the 17th!