Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite catsup?

@stuyvesant wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@stuyvesant

for what its worth, i didnt think you had any other motive for posting this thread than finding out if people really do care about their ketchup brand. i found it interesting when someone mentioned the tj ketchup on the trader joes thread also.

There may not have been a motive for starting this thread, but IMO this ultimately says it all:

"It's interesting, though - when you get context.

Next time you see someone say "I love their catsup," you know you're dealing with an internet warrior, someone who is saying, "I don't care about this stuff. I like the taste."

So if you do care about that stuff, you can take that into account. And then talk about some other delicious stiuff they make."

"Internet warrior" LOL - like it's some sort of negative label to put on someone who clearly likes catsup, which is...bad for you, but hey, if you're that kind of person, what can you expect?

Such an *eyeroll.*

I did ask the question.  I do like catsup.  I did find it startling that American catsup has to be reformulated for other countries.  I did want to talk about this.  So, I thought ask people about their favorite catsup.  Maybe they'd give reasons.

I totally  thought about the catsup because of the other thread.  I sincerely don't understand shutting people down who think about things because of stuff they read here and  askk questions.  It's intimidating to be told you're engaging in rants.

I also want to say, I had all this stuff in my head when I asked "do you have a favorite catsup" but I also knew I had no control over where the answers would go.

@stuyvesant I still don't understand the "internet warrior" reference, but I shared your surprise and curiosity about the catsup brand loyalty mentioned in the TJ thread (until I thought through my own condiment weirdness...!  But I maintain that ketchup is ketchup Woman Tongue)  I was equally surprised by how many people expressed a preference in response to your question, so I'm glad you started the thread. 

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@stuyvesant

for what its worth, i didnt think you had any other motive for posting this thread than finding out if people really do care about their ketchup brand. i found it interesting when someone mentioned the tj ketchup on the trader joes thread also.

There may not have been a motive for starting this thread, but IMO this ultimately says it all:

Next time you see someone say "I love their catsup," you know you're dealing with an internet warrior, someone who is saying, "I don't care about this stuff. I like the taste."

So if you do care about that stuff, you can take that into account. And then talk about some other delicious stiuff they make."

"Internet warrior" LOL - like it's some sort of negative label to put on someone who clearly likes catsup, which is...bad for you, but hey, if you're that kind of person, what can you expect?

Such an *eyeroll.*

I did ask the question.  I do like catsup.  I did find it startling that American catsup has to be reformulated for other countries.  I did want to talk about this.  So, I thought ask people about their favorite catsup.  Maybe they'd give reasons.

I totally  thought about the catsup because of the other thread.  I sincerely don't understand shutting people down who think about things because of stuff they read here and  askk questions.  It's intimidating to be told you're engaging in rants.

I also want to say, I had all this stuff in my head when I asked "do you have a favorite catsup" but I also knew I had no control over where the answers would go.

No one has "shut you down" or in any way prevented you from posting - in any thread. If by "shutting down" you mean disagreeing and posting a different POV, or questioning a post - you're going to find that's part of every discussion forum everywhere, and you'll certainly find it true on these forums. Anyone who expects everyone responding to see all things their way whenever they post (whatever they post about) is going to be surprised.

I leave it to any other posters who care enough about it (few, I would imagine) to read your posts in the other thread and decide for themselves whether they would term it a rant (which is usually taken to mean having a strong opinion/feeling about something and not paying any attention to those with a different POV, i.e. not wanting to hear what anyone else thinks, just wanting to declare one's displeasured POV).

Again - people were questioning your motivation before I posted here. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@stuyvesant

Such an *eyeroll.*

No one has "shut you down" or in any way prevented you from posting - in any thread. If by "shutting down" you mean disagreeing and posting a different POV, or questioning a post - you're going to find that's part of every discussion forum everywhere, and you'll certainly find it true on these forums. Anyone who expects everyone responding to see all things their way whenever they post (whatever they post about) is going to be surprised.

I leave it to any other posters who care enough about it (few, I would imagine) to read your posts in the other thread and decide for themselves whether they would term it a rant (which is usually taken to mean having a strong opinion/feeling about something and not paying any attention to those with a different POV, i.e. not wanting to hear what anyone else thinks, just wanting to declare one's displeasured POV).

Again - people were questioning your motivation before I posted here. 

I'm sorry to post this whole long discourse, but people reading this - read this last sentence.  Moonchilde was the 8th person to post on my thread and she posted a catsup preference. 

All the posts about catsup on the first page (and most of the thread, to be honest) are about catsup preferences.

I've confessed as much as I'm able  about what was going on in my head when I asked what was your favorite catsup.  I was curious about high fructose corn syrup.

Honored Contributor

Here is the ingredient label for Trader Joe's ketchup for those that may be interested:

TJketchup2

There have been other threads in the past discussing ketchup preferences and another one that got a lot of great reviews is Whole Foods 365 brand.

Honored Contributor

Oh lawd.  An argument on a catsup thread.  ROFLOL

I only buy organic catsup.  Either the one from Aldi or Nature's Basket which is my grocery store's brand.

Respected Contributor

Well I'm learning some things.  I go straight for the Heinz and don't look at anything else.  I knew there was Hunt's and that's about it.  I have never noticed a store brand, but there must be one.  I'll look for the reduced sugar next time, and in a few weeks when my yard is inundated with tomatoes, I think I'll try bri's recipe :-) 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Oh lawd.  An argument on a catsup thread.  ROFLOL

I only buy organic catsup.  Either the one from Aldi or Nature's Basket which is my grocery store's brand.

@Lipstickdiva

I doubt it has anything to do with ketchup. 

Really?  "An internet warrior" if you like a ketchup?  SMH

Honored Contributor

I buy Heinz but honestly, I don't think I know the difference.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @momtochloe, that's an okay carb count by me. I only use catsup for burgers, fries and other fried foods, dip & dab, so not usually any huge amount at a time.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I am the one that started the ketchup preference.  Before I tried TJ's brand, I always bought whatever was on sale but now since I buy maybe one bottle a year I will splurge on theirs.  It doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup, is low in sugar and sodium and for me has a special flavor that I love.

@momtochloe

You did, and I agreed with you, which often happens with us Woman Happy

I'm tempted to also say I like French's yellow mustard and the Beaver brand.  I just bought a new one that's a bacon flavor mustard... I hope there isn't a condiment war over those Woman LOL