Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite catsup?

Only HeinzSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I don't eat a lot of ketchup and we used to always buy Heinz, but I tried TJ's after seeing it listed as one of their most popular items a couple of years ago and now would never buy anything else (see some references to TJ thread, but haven't read it so not sure if there's some weird controversy going on or anything).

My husband and son, both who don't care much about food, noticed the difference the first time they tried it and always remind me if we start to run out so I can schedule a TJ's trip.

Respected Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@stuyvesant

for what its worth, i didnt think you had any other motive for posting this thread than finding out if people really do care about their ketchup brand. i found it interesting when someone mentioned the tj ketchup on the trader joes thread also.

Thank you.

I'm sort of parsing this.

I rant.

You rant.

He, she, it rants.

Oops!  Should there be a comma after the "it" in the last sentence.  What's your stand on Oxford grammar, and what's behind your stand.  And I thought catsup was east!

No, there should not be a comma after "it." That series doesn't justify use of a serial/Oxford comma.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@stuyvesant

for what its worth, i didnt think you had any other motive for posting this thread than finding out if people really do care about their ketchup brand. i found it interesting when someone mentioned the tj ketchup on the trader joes thread also.

There may not have been a motive for starting this thread, but IMO this ultimately says it all:

"It's interesting, though - when you get context.

Next time you see someone say "I love their catsup," you know you're dealing with an internet warrior, someone who is saying, "I don't care about this stuff. I like the taste."

So if you do care about that stuff, you can take that into account. And then talk about some other delicious stiuff they make."

"Internet warrior" LOL - like it's some sort of negative label to put on someone who clearly likes catsup, which is...bad for you, but hey, if you're that kind of person, what can you expect?

Such an *eyeroll.*

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Hard to believe that it's Friday afternoon and there's an argument here on the boards about ketchup, of all things, LOL!

I thnk I may need my vodka/club soda a little early today!Heart

Image result for things are going to get better

To remain on the topic, I'm a Heinz girl all the way.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I only buy sugar free ketchup.  Either Heniz brand when I can find it in Safeway it such.... otherwise if it is not in my regular store, a natural brand that is sold in health  stores.  I sweeten the sugar free ketchup with stevia.   Tastes the same as the sugar laden ones. 

Ketchup is full of both sugar and sodium.  Most people do not realize all the sugar in just one tablespoon of it....and most people eat much much more than a tablespoon. Like eating candy.

My doctor told me not to use Stevia either.  So I'll take the sugar or nothing. 

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 I tried to heart your post and something wonky happened with my computer.  So if you got a notification that it was revoked, nothing personal lol

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

It's interesting, though - when you get context.

Next time you see someone say "I love their catsup," you know you're dealing with an internet warrior, someone who is saying, "I don't care about this stuff.  I like the taste."  

So if you do care about that stuff, you can take that into account.  And then talk about some other delicious stiuff they make.

Can you please spell out exactly what you're saying here? I have no idea what you mean. 

And were you actually wanting to know what kind of ketchup people liked, or did you have another agenda in posting this question? If so, what are you trying to learn?

@noodleann

The OP posted a rant against Trader Joe's in the now-bumped thread. It didn't go their way. The usual I love this or that at TJs posts followed, and two posters said they loved TJs catsup and preferred it to any other. One of these posters had countermanded the OPs rant and presume she is unhappy about that.

Immediately THIS thread popped up. Just a way to get support to diss the other posters in the other thread. Pretty straightforward timeline.

Thanks for this explanation, @Moonchilde. It makes sense of the OP's post, which she still hasn't explained.

Just when you think you've seen the silliest infantile behavior that manages to fly above the censorship zone, someone here lowers the bar. But what burns me is dragging food into it. Food, foodways, food preferences and the like should be free of this kind of thing. This is ketchup abuse.

Back to what really matters, I have to wonder whether the TJ ketchup is kosher. If it is, maybe it's made by the same folks who make the Rokeach ketchup, or perhaps by Rokeach itself. (Neither brand puts HFCS in their ketchup.) I must make a trip to TJ to get some of their dolmas anyway, and will add their house brand ketchup to the list to try.

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@stuyvesant

There may not have been a motive for starting this thread, but IMO this ultimately says it all:

"It's interesting, though - when you get context.

Next time you see someone say "I love their catsup," you know you're dealing with an internet warrior, someone who is saying, "I don't care about this stuff. I like the taste."

So if you do care about that stuff, you can take that into account. And then talk about some other delicious stiuff they make."

"Internet warrior" LOL - like it's some sort of negative label to put on someone who clearly likes catsup, which is...bad for you, but hey, if you're that kind of person, what can you expect?

Such an *eyeroll.*

I did ask the question.  I do like catsup.  I did find it startling that American catsup has to be reformulated for other countries.  I did want to talk about this.  So, I thought ask people about their favorite catsup.  Maybe they'd give reasons.

I totally  thought about the catsup because of the other thread.  I sincerely don't understand shutting people down who think about things because of stuff they read here and  askk questions.  It's intimidating to be told you're engaging in rants.

I also want to say, I had all this stuff in my head when I asked "do you have a favorite catsup" but I also knew I had no control over where the answers would go.

Honored Contributor

@lkat wrote:

I don't eat a lot of ketchup and we used to always buy Heinz, but I tried TJ's after seeing it listed as one of their most popular items a couple of years ago and now would never buy anything else (see some references to TJ thread, but haven't read it so not sure if there's some weird controversy going on or anything).

My husband and son, both who don't care much about food, noticed the difference the first time they tried it and always remind me if we start to run out so I can schedule a TJ's trip.

Now I'm really curious - and it's time for a trip anyway.

I stick to the Heinz Reduced Sugar because it's a good compromise for me, and it's the only Reduced Sugar (don't want No Sugar) catsup I see on my regular store shelves.

But - most of TJ's products of all kinds that I buy are lower sugar and better for diabetics than most mainstream supermarket products carried. I'll look at the label and if it's in the reduced sugar range I'll give it a try.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all